Brace your liver! How to drink vodka like a Russian
Vodka is drunk socially all over Russia to produce a state of conviviality referred to as dusha-dushe (soul-to-soul). When a Russian taps his throat, be prepared to join in for a round. The "vodka procedure" is as follows: Prepare a forkful of food (pickles, herring, boiled potatoes) or chunk of bread, inhale and exhale quickly, then breathe in and tip the vodka down your throat all at once (no sipping here), breathe out and eat.
More on Russia Travel
Member Comments (2) Post a Comment
It works much better with gin. Or rum. Not very Russian admittedly.
Rinse... and repeat...
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Top 15 Beach Destinations for Winter Escapes
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- Black Friday/Cyber Monday 2014: The Best Travel Deals
- 10 Places to Go This Winter
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- How to Use the Internet to Find the Best Airplane Seats
- $2583* & up -- Fly to Australia in Premium Economy, R/TAir New Zealand
- $1761 & up -- Costa Rica 7-Nt. Eco-Adventure w/Air & ToursGreat Value Vacations
- $284-$300 -- Upscale Brazil Resort w/Drinks Using MasterCardSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $2657 -- Australia Outback & Ayers Rock Land Only VacationSpringboard Vacations
- $128-$136 -- Maine: Downtown Portland Hotel, 30% OffThe Westin Portland Harborview
- $1499 -- Asia 14-Night Cruise w/Drinks, Tips & $200 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
* Some taxes, fees additional