Brace your liver! How to drink vodka like a Russian
Vodka is drunk socially all over Russia to produce a state of conviviality referred to as dusha-dushe (soul-to-soul). When a Russian taps his throat, be prepared to join in for a round. The "vodka procedure" is as follows: Prepare a forkful of food (pickles, herring, boiled potatoes) or chunk of bread, inhale and exhale quickly, then breathe in and tip the vodka down your throat all at once (no sipping here), breathe out and eat.
More on Russia Travel
Member Comments (2) Post a Comment
It works much better with gin. Or rum. Not very Russian admittedly.
Rinse... and repeat...
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 10 Hotels With Over-the-Top Christmas Decorations
- 5 Reasons to Visit Addis Ababa Now
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- New All-Inclusive Resort Azul Sensatori Jamaica Opens in Negril
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- $62 & up -- Anaheim Area Hotel w/Disney Shuttles, 60% OffBookIt.com
- $474 -- Celebrity 4-Night Bahamas Cruise w/Unlimited DrinksCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $999 & up -- Hawaii Cruise Sale w/Choice of ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $139 -- 4-Star Hotel at Boston Logan Int'l Airport, Save 30%Hilton Boston Logan Airport
- $439 & up -- Puerto Rico: 4-Star Oceanfront Getaway, 50% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $20 & up -- Arizona Tour, Spa, Golf & Dining Deals, 70% OffVisit Arizona
* Some taxes, fees additional