From Fodor's Spain and Portugal, 1960
"When a Spaniard passes a pretty girl on the street, chances are he will violate the law. Older than the castles of Spain is the custom of piropos, extemporaneous, neatly worded tributes paid to any attractive girl encountered on the street. Although piropos were outlawed by the government in 1926 when one outraged husband shot an ardent piropeador in Madrid, the practice has persisted."
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 15 Things NOT to Do in New York City
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Best Regional Theaters in the U.S.
- Top 20 Free Things to Do in NYC
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- $309 & up -- Fort Myers Resort near Sanibel Island, 25% OffSanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa
- $20 & up -- Arizona Tour, Spa, Golf & Dining Deals, 70% OffVisit Arizona
- $80 & up -- Cozumel: All-Incl. Family-Friendly Beach ResortBookIt.com
- $539 & up -- Cabo San Lucas All-Inclusive Vacation w/AirApple Vacations
- $999 & up -- Punta Cana All-Incl. Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $959 & up -- Puerto Vallarta 4-Star All-Incl. Escape w/AirApple Vacations
* Some taxes, fees additional