From Fodor's Spain and Portugal, 1960
"When a Spaniard passes a pretty girl on the street, chances are he will violate the law. Older than the castles of Spain is the custom of piropos, extemporaneous, neatly worded tributes paid to any attractive girl encountered on the street. Although piropos were outlawed by the government in 1926 when one outraged husband shot an ardent piropeador in Madrid, the practice has persisted."
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Stunning Hotels in Unexpected Places
- 10 Restaurants Worth a Day Trip in Europe
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- World's Most Luxurious Wine Country Hotels
- Best Credit Cards for Travelers
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- 10 Natural and Organic Beauty Products Worth Packing
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $142-$152 -- Santiago Chile Hotel incl. Breakfast & Wi-FiHyatt Place Santiago/Vitacura
- $1275 & up -- Bangkok & Phuket 6-Nt. Trip w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com
- $2899 & up -- Australia: Queensland Trip w/Barrier Reef TourTourism and Events Queensland
- $2149 & up -- Luxe China River Cruise w/Air, $1100 OffVacances Sinorama
- $2011* & up -- Premium Economy Fares to Paris (Roundtrip)Air France
- $3599 -- Suite: 10-Nt. Award-Winning Asia Cruise on WindstarWindstar Cruises
* Some taxes, fees additional