From Fodor's Spain and Portugal, 1960
"When a Spaniard passes a pretty girl on the street, chances are he will violate the law. Older than the castles of Spain is the custom of piropos, extemporaneous, neatly worded tributes paid to any attractive girl encountered on the street. Although piropos were outlawed by the government in 1926 when one outraged husband shot an ardent piropeador in Madrid, the practice has persisted."
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Asia's 10 Best Second Cities
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- 15 Must-See Literary Sights in London
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- Where to Eat in Montreal Now
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $479 & up -- Ends 9/2: Bermuda Cruises w/All-Incl. OptionNorwegian Cruise Line
- $325 -- Oahu: 4-Star Waikiki Beach Resort, 20% OffSheraton Waikiki
- $605 & up -- Waikiki 3-Nt. Vacations w/Air, Save $100Pleasant Holidays
- $270 -- Waikiki 4-Star Oceanfront Resort, Save 30%Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, Waikiki Beach
- $8.50 & up -- Car Rentals across the U.S.CarRentals.com
- $143 & up -- Downtown LA Hotel During Summer, 45% OffSheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel
* Some taxes, fees additional