Steer clear of shark in the water and on your plate in Hong Kong
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
I feel for the "env. & moral issues" surrounding shark fin. However, I simply can' t get over the "soup has very little flavor" comment. I stopped eating shark fin years ago - but, when I used to consume it, it was almost always for the culinary qualities of the soup. I had no clue about the supposed aphrodisiac and frankly it always occurred to me that if people were eating it for some reason beyond taste, it was more that shark fin soup was one of those sticker-shock dishes. People seemed to order it as a special treat and/or status symbol.
Issues aside, re the fin, I think the texture adds to the soup, but the recipe itself is worthy sans fin. My beau recently had it in Fook Lam Moon and though entirely unfamiliar w/ shark fin and probably unlikely to ever acquire a taste for it, he was floored by the soup.
I can't support the fishing practices but it is not without sadness that I skip shark fin soup.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1198* & up -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $2199 -- Oceanview: Tahiti 7-Night Luxury Cruise, $1000 OffWindstar Cruises
- $449 & up -- Norwegian Getaway Caribbean Cruise w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $129 & up -- 4- & 5-Star New York City Hotels, up to 65% Offtrivago
- $119 & up -- 4-Star San Diego Hotels, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $169 & up -- Weekend Cruise to Baja Mexico on CarnivalCarnival Cruise Lines