Steer clear of shark in the water and on your plate in Hong Kong
Hong Kong accounts for 50% of the world market for shark. The expensive shark’s-fin soup, considered by locals to be an aphrodisiac, is made with the great beast’s pectal, dorsal, and lower tail fins. Not only are there environmental and moral issues involved, but the soup has very little flavor, making it one of the biggest wastes of money in the culinary universe. See our top picks for dining in Hong Kong.
You May Also Like
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
I feel for the "env. & moral issues" surrounding shark fin. However, I simply can' t get over the "soup has very little flavor" comment. I stopped eating shark fin years ago - but, when I used to consume it, it was almost always for the culinary qualities of the soup. I had no clue about the supposed aphrodisiac and frankly it always occurred to me that if people were eating it for some reason beyond taste, it was more that shark fin soup was one of those sticker-shock dishes. People seemed to order it as a special treat and/or status symbol.
Issues aside, re the fin, I think the texture adds to the soup, but the recipe itself is worthy sans fin. My beau recently had it in Fook Lam Moon and though entirely unfamiliar w/ shark fin and probably unlikely to ever acquire a taste for it, he was floored by the soup.
I can't support the fishing practices but it is not without sadness that I skip shark fin soup.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Where to Go This Summer
- 4 Great Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Beginner's Guide to Glamping
- Bangkok 101: What (and Where) to Eat
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Summer 2013 Guide to New York City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3152 & up -- Italy Luxury Trip w/Air & Rail between CitiesSceptre Tours
- $92 -- Cabo: All-Inclusive Beachfront Resort, Save 50%Hotel Riu Sante Fe
- $150 & Up -- Old Montreal 4-Diamond Hotel, 40% OffLe Westin Montreal
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/ToursDown Under Answers