Steer clear of shark in the water and on your plate in Hong Kong
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
I feel for the "env. & moral issues" surrounding shark fin. However, I simply can' t get over the "soup has very little flavor" comment. I stopped eating shark fin years ago - but, when I used to consume it, it was almost always for the culinary qualities of the soup. I had no clue about the supposed aphrodisiac and frankly it always occurred to me that if people were eating it for some reason beyond taste, it was more that shark fin soup was one of those sticker-shock dishes. People seemed to order it as a special treat and/or status symbol.
Issues aside, re the fin, I think the texture adds to the soup, but the recipe itself is worthy sans fin. My beau recently had it in Fook Lam Moon and though entirely unfamiliar w/ shark fin and probably unlikely to ever acquire a taste for it, he was floored by the soup.
I can't support the fishing practices but it is not without sadness that I skip shark fin soup.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Asia's 10 Best Second Cities
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- 15 Must-See Literary Sights in London
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- Where to Eat in Montreal Now
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $135-$175 -- Weekends at Dallas 4-Star Hotel, Save 40%The Westin Galleria Dallas
- $309 & up -- 4-Star Grand Cayman Beach Resort, Save 45%The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
- $595 & up -- Hawaii 3-Night Escapes incl. Air, Save $100Pleasant Holidays
- $112 & up -- Florida Gulf Coast 4-Star Hotel, Save 55%The Westin Cape Coral Resort at Marina Village
- $499 & up -- Mexico Riviera Cruises w/Upgrades & ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $269-$289 -- San Francisco 4-Star Hotel, 40% OffWestin St. Francis