How to Pack for Kids: 6 Simple Tips
More on Family Travel8 Family Tips for Extended Trips 9 Tips for Taking the Kids to Europe Baby on Board? The ABCs of Cruising with an Infant or Toddler Photo Credit: iStockphoto / wojciech_gajda
Member Comments (5) Post a Comment
These are really great tips - including those added in the comments. I have almost the same drill when I tag along my niece in short trips. I also make sure I pack a few of her favorite gummies and chocolates.
When we go on a car vacation/road trip, instead of packing suitcases, we use stacking plastic drawers that fit into the back of our minivan. That way, we don't have to schlep our suitcases into our lodging at each stop. We simply bring in the things we need for the night (including toiletries) and the next day's clothes. There's also no unnecessary clutter in the hotel room. Each person has their own backpack for toys, games, reading, electronics. We leave a laundry bag in the car for dirty clothes. This system as worked just great for our two week family road trip vacations for the past 6 years!
My favorite travel tricks with kids: long flight - bring the portable DVD, because if there's no TV in the headrest, or it doesn't work, you could have a really long ride. Number two: make a small pre-trip purchase of an activity book - coloring, puzzles, whatever - so it can be pulled out as a surprise when needed.
sorry--meant to say how icky showers would be if the one checked toiletries bag got lost
Is this article old, or just intended for people with too much cash? It seems to assume that everyone will pay to check their bags--no way!
My son has pulled his own since he was 3. He knows where the toiletries pocket is, and beats many adults at getting stuff into bins at security. We do pool toiletries, but that means conditioner in one person's baggie, toothpaste in someone else's. Seeing how carefully many people choose toiletries, I don't want to think about how icky showers would be for everyone.
I'd say keep a few toys you can loose in an outside pocket to pull out during waiting periods, along with snacks.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 5 Reasons to Visit Houston Now
- Top 5 Things to Do in Queens
- 5 Reasons to Visit Addis Ababa Now
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- Checking In: Park Hyatt New York
- World's Best Cruises for 2015
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- $599 -- Oceanview: 10-Nt. Panama Canal Cruise w/$100 CreditCruise.com
- $67-$104 -- Vegas: New 4-Star Resort on The Strip, Save 25%SLS Las Vegas
- $779 & up -- 4-Nt. Riviera Maya Escape w/Resort Credit & AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $699 & up -- 4-Star Beachfront Punta Cana Vacation w/AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $2396* & up -- Fly to Australia in Premium Economy, R/TAir New Zealand
- $139* & up -- Nationwide Flight Sale on American, R/TAmerican Airlines