How to Pack for Kids: 6 Simple Tips
More on Family Travel8 Family Tips for Extended Trips 9 Tips for Taking the Kids to Europe Baby on Board? The ABCs of Cruising with an Infant or Toddler Photo Credit: iStockphoto / wojciech_gajda
Member Comments (5) Post a Comment
These are really great tips - including those added in the comments. I have almost the same drill when I tag along my niece in short trips. I also make sure I pack a few of her favorite gummies and chocolates.
When we go on a car vacation/road trip, instead of packing suitcases, we use stacking plastic drawers that fit into the back of our minivan. That way, we don't have to schlep our suitcases into our lodging at each stop. We simply bring in the things we need for the night (including toiletries) and the next day's clothes. There's also no unnecessary clutter in the hotel room. Each person has their own backpack for toys, games, reading, electronics. We leave a laundry bag in the car for dirty clothes. This system as worked just great for our two week family road trip vacations for the past 6 years!
My favorite travel tricks with kids: long flight - bring the portable DVD, because if there's no TV in the headrest, or it doesn't work, you could have a really long ride. Number two: make a small pre-trip purchase of an activity book - coloring, puzzles, whatever - so it can be pulled out as a surprise when needed.
sorry--meant to say how icky showers would be if the one checked toiletries bag got lost
Is this article old, or just intended for people with too much cash? It seems to assume that everyone will pay to check their bags--no way!
My son has pulled his own since he was 3. He knows where the toiletries pocket is, and beats many adults at getting stuff into bins at security. We do pool toiletries, but that means conditioner in one person's baggie, toothpaste in someone else's. Seeing how carefully many people choose toiletries, I don't want to think about how icky showers would be for everyone.
I'd say keep a few toys you can loose in an outside pocket to pull out during waiting periods, along with snacks.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- 10 Best Halloween Celebrations in the U.S.
- America's 10 Best Cocktail Bars
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- Fall 2014 Guide to Washington, D.C.
- $56 & up -- Myrtle Beach Oceanfront 1-Bedroom Suite, 10% OffOcean Dunes Resort
- $69* & up -- Nationwide Fares on Award-Winning Airline, O/WVirgin America
- $44 & up -- Las Vegas Upscale Resort Sale incl. ExtrasLasVegas.com
- $1999 -- China: Last Minute Luxe Yangtze River Cruise w/AirSinorama Holidays
- $3199 & up -- China: 5-Star, 20-Night Tour w/Cruise & AirSinorama Holidays
- $399 & up -- Ends 10/24: Caribbean Cruises w/Onboard CreditNorwegian Cruise Line