Garçon! Know your restaurant etiquette in France.
In restaurants you must ask for the check (it's considered rude to bring it unbidden) except in cafés, where a register slip often comes with your order. Gratuities (servis) are included in the bill, but leave some small change on the table: a few cents for drinks, €1 for lunch, or €3 for dinner. You can leave more at a top restaurant, but note that more than 10% is considered extremely generous. Peruse our Paris restaurant reviews.
You May Also Like
Member Comments (2) Post a Comment
Handy tips that I can forward to my friends - rather than a long debate as to travel etiquette! Thanks for sharing!
Waiters usually don't like to be called "garçon"...
If you have something to ask them, such as the bill or a glass of water or anything else, just say "s'il vous plait" to get their attention or "Monsieur"
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com