Garçon! Know your restaurant etiquette in France.
In restaurants you must ask for the check (it's considered rude to bring it unbidden) except in cafés, where a register slip often comes with your order. Gratuities (servis) are included in the bill, but leave some small change on the table: a few cents for drinks, €1 for lunch, or €3 for dinner. You can leave more at a top restaurant, but note that more than 10% is considered extremely generous. Peruse our Paris restaurant reviews.
You May Also Like
Member Comments (2) Post a Comment
Handy tips that I can forward to my friends - rather than a long debate as to travel etiquette! Thanks for sharing!
Waiters usually don't like to be called "garçon"...
If you have something to ask them, such as the bill or a glass of water or anything else, just say "s'il vous plait" to get their attention or "Monsieur"
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Where to Go This Summer
- 4 Great Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Beginner's Guide to Glamping
- Bangkok 101: What (and Where) to Eat
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Summer 2013 Guide to New York City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3152 & up -- Italy Luxury Trip w/Air & Rail between CitiesSceptre Tours
- $92 -- Cabo: All-Inclusive Beachfront Resort, Save 50%Hotel Riu Sante Fe
- $150 & Up -- Old Montreal 4-Diamond Hotel, 40% OffLe Westin Montreal
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/ToursDown Under Answers