Tube or taxi? Choose your London airport transfer wisely.
Tube, taxi, or the Heathrow or Gatwick Express are the most common ways to go, each with its pluses and minuses. Taking the Tube (London's underground subway system) is the cheapest way to reach most points in central London (£4.50 at this writing), but you'll have to lug your bags. Taxi trips from Heathrow can take more than an hour and cost £50-plus, depending upon traffic. From Gatwick (90 minutes), the taxi fare is at least £70 plus tip. Another option is the Heathrow Express train, which makes the trip to London Paddington in 15 minutes. Standard one-way tickets cost £16.50 (£32 round-trip). Gatwick has a similar train. But then you'll likely need a taxi to your city hotel. See more London Travel Tips.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 5 Reasons to Visit Houston Now
- Top 5 Things to Do in Queens
- 5 Reasons to Visit Addis Ababa Now
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- Checking In: Park Hyatt New York
- World's Best Cruises for 2015
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- $719 & up -- Cancun: All-Incl. 'Riu' Trip w/Air & Spa CreditCheapCaribbean.com
- $19 & up -- Las Vegas Hotel & Resort Sale incl. ExtrasLasVegas.com
- $139* & up -- Nationwide Flight Sale on American, R/TAmerican Airlines
- $119 -- Boston: Cambridge Hotel Suite w/Wi-Fi, 35% OffDoubleTree Suites by Hilton Boston - Cambridge
- $549 & up -- Mexico Riviera Cruises w/Upgrades & ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $118 & up -- Downtown D.C. Holiday Hotel Sale, up to 30% OffStarwood Hotels and Resorts
* Some taxes, fees additional