Top 6 Experiences for Girls Weekend Getaways
1. Relaxing by the Pool or BeachOver one-third of respondents agreed on this top activity—proof that bonding doesn't always involve packed schedules. For a group, consider renting a condo or a house, many are available even for just a few days in prime shore locations. From Key West to Waikiki, ocean options abound but don't discount lake-side locales either. Bring the latest gossip mags for some quality reading, though be warned you might get tempted to treat yourself with a celeb-worthy cabana rental.
2. Spa-goingWhether you are looking for a full detox or just a bit of pampering, ask any potential spa about specials for duos or groups. The best destination spas are concentrated in Southwest spiritual centers like Santa Fe, New Mexico and Sedona, Arizona. But day spas abound elsewhere, so be sure to sign up for social couponing sites for other cities before you travel: many of the deals from Living Social and Groupon are spa-oriented.
3. Wine TastingIf you have enough ladies, consider booking a tour for a day of exploring wineries—or even splurging on a limo, to take the pressure off your designated driver. Sonoma, Napa, and Oregon's Willamette Valley are tops for award-winning wines and stunning scenery. But East Coasters have some great grape options too, such as New York's Finger Lakes and Ontario's Niagara Wine Region.
4. Outdoor Adventure and ExploringAdventurous ladies should consider soaking up the views at a U.S. or Canadian national park or cruising on a classic road trip. For a little more adrenaline with your bonding, you don't have to go all the way to Costa Rica for zip-line tours anymore. In recent years, many thrilling new canopy tours have opened up outside of the rainforest, like Hunter's New York Zipline in the Catskill Mountains.
5. Cocktail CelebrationsSure, Las Vegas, Miami, New York City, and New Orleans are classics for dancing and drinking but don't forget the smaller and sometimes more affordable options. Austin, Memphis and Nashville are a must for music-lovers. For a side of gambling outside of Vegas, there's always Atlantic City with its sleek Borgata or choose from a growing number of resort casinos—with clubs, hotels, and entertainment—such as Foxwoods in Connecticut.
6. ShoppingLook for destination inspiration on the shopping bags of famous designers: New York. Los Angeles. London. Paris. Rome. Even if a girls trip to Europe isn't in today's budget, it's always great to have something to save for in the future. For a different take on outlet shopping, visit Manchester, Vermont or Freeport, Maine for cute New England towns with downtown outlet stores done in traditional architecture. Wherever you go, don't focus solely on chains, as some of the best thrill is in the hunt for local finds. Photo Credits: Barsik / iStockPhoto, wihteorchid / iStockPhoto
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1099 & up -- Ireland: 5-Star Villa Vacation w/Air & CarGreat Value Vacations
- $1159 & up -- Balcony on Weeklong Fjords of Norway CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $2385 & up -- Italy: 5-Night Rome Escape w/Air & ToursSceptre Tours
- $299 & up -- Caribbean 7-Night Cruise w/UpgradeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $619* & up -- Europe Fare Sale from across the U.S. (R/T)Lufthansa
- $1555 & up -- London: 4-Night Getaway w/Air & ToursGreat Value Vacations