Top 6 Experiences for Girls Weekend Getaways
In honor of Mother's Day (Sunday, May 8th), we asked our Facebook followers to vote for their ideal girls-only getaway. What was the number one activity? According to 36% of you, your favorite female bonding pastime is simply relaxing by the pool or beach. Whether you are planning a mother-daughter outing or any ladies-only escape, we've got the classic girls weekend destinations covered plus some of our insider favorites. Not seeing your ideal activity listed below? Be sure to follow Fodor's on Facebook to vote on future questions and have your voice heard—or leave a comment below.
1. Relaxing by the Pool or BeachOver one-third of respondents agreed on this top activity—proof that bonding doesn't always involve packed schedules. For a group, consider renting a condo or a house, many are available even for just a few days in prime shore locations. From Key West to Waikiki, ocean options abound but don't discount lake-side locales either. Bring the latest gossip mags for some quality reading, though be warned you might get tempted to treat yourself with a celeb-worthy cabana rental.
2. Spa-goingWhether you are looking for a full detox or just a bit of pampering, ask any potential spa about specials for duos or groups. The best destination spas are concentrated in Southwest spiritual centers like Santa Fe, New Mexico and Sedona, Arizona. But day spas abound elsewhere, so be sure to sign up for social couponing sites for other cities before you travel: many of the deals from Living Social and Groupon are spa-oriented.
3. Wine TastingIf you have enough ladies, consider booking a tour for a day of exploring wineries—or even splurging on a limo, to take the pressure off your designated driver. Sonoma, Napa, and Oregon's Willamette Valley are tops for award-winning wines and stunning scenery. But East Coasters have some great grape options too, such as New York's Finger Lakes and Ontario's Niagara Wine Region.
4. Outdoor Adventure and ExploringAdventurous ladies should consider soaking up the views at a U.S. or Canadian national park or cruising on a classic road trip. For a little more adrenaline with your bonding, you don't have to go all the way to Costa Rica for zip-line tours anymore. In recent years, many thrilling new canopy tours have opened up outside of the rainforest, like Hunter's New York Zipline in the Catskill Mountains.
5. Cocktail CelebrationsSure, Las Vegas, Miami, New York City, and New Orleans are classics for dancing and drinking but don't forget the smaller and sometimes more affordable options. Austin, Memphis and Nashville are a must for music-lovers. For a side of gambling outside of Vegas, there's always Atlantic City with its sleek Borgata or choose from a growing number of resort casinos—with clubs, hotels, and entertainment—such as Foxwoods in Connecticut.
6. ShoppingLook for destination inspiration on the shopping bags of famous designers: New York. Los Angeles. London. Paris. Rome. Even if a girls trip to Europe isn't in today's budget, it's always great to have something to save for in the future. For a different take on outlet shopping, visit Manchester, Vermont or Freeport, Maine for cute New England towns with downtown outlet stores done in traditional architecture. Wherever you go, don't focus solely on chains, as some of the best thrill is in the hunt for local finds. Photo Credits: Barsik / iStockPhoto, wihteorchid / iStockPhoto
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Italy: What to Skip, and Where to Go Instead
- Exchanging Your Money Abroad: 10 Simple Tips
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- Ultimate Guide to Louisville's Hip Neighborhoods
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit in 2015
- Top 10 Places to Go for Spring 2015
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- 10 Best Caribbean All-Inclusive Resorts for 2015