In India, know these tips to show respect at religious monuments.
Remove your shoes before entering a shrine, even if it appears to be in ruins. Be aware that some temples and mosques are off-limits to travelers who don't practice the faith, or to any women. Women visiting sacred places should dress modestly—no shorts or tank tops—and cover their heads before entering a Sikh temple or a mosque. Cameras and video cameras are sometimes prohibited inside houses of worship. See our India coverage.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- 10 Best River Cruises for 2015
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- A Fool-Proof Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- 10 Under-the-Radar Attractions in the U.S.
- $209 & up -- Boston 4-Star Hotel near Newbury St., 30% OffSheraton Boston
- $139 -- Puerto Rico: Old Town San Juan HotelSheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino
- $77-$85 -- Quebec City 4-Diamond Hotel into June, 40% OffHilton Quebec
- $1876 & up -- French Riviera 4-Star Trip w/Air, Car & ToursGreat Value Vacations
- $210 -- Puerto Rico: Vieques Island Resort, 50% OffPuerto Rico Tourism Company
- $79 & up -- Virginia Hotels and Resorts on Sale, Save 50%Featured Destination: Virginia
* Some taxes, fees additional