Airline Food Update: Healthy In-Flight Snacks
ContinentalContinental's economy class doesn't offer complimentary snacks on short flights, so you won't be tempted to nibble something just because it's free. If you purchase a snack ($1.75-$4.75), the roasted almonds or beef jerky are healthier choices than the tempting M&M's, Pringles, or pretzel dips.
DeltaWhen you travel economy on Delta, choose the complimentary protein-packed peanuts or low-fat pretzels over the cookies. If you'd rather fill up on free beverages, stick with water, coffee, or tea and skip the sweet soda pop.
jetBlueIf you're craving salt, resist the popular Doritos Munchies Mix in favor of the low-calorie PopCorners Popcorn Chips or natural Terra Blues Chips. For something sweet, the animal crackers will satisfy with less fat and calories than the cookie options.
UnitedNo complimentary snacks are offered on United's short, economy class flights, but they offer plenty of snacks for purchase. The least expensive choices—chocolate bars and Pringles ($2.99 each)—are the most unhealthy, so consider splurging a bit for one of the fresh menu options, like a fruit and yogurt parfait ($5.49). If you go with a Snackbox, pick the light option ($6.99), which includes unsweetened applesauce, lemon pepper tuna, and a few low-cal goodies.
US AirwaysIf you get the munchies on a US Airways flight, you'll have to open your wallet. Opt for the roasted almonds, blueberry pomegranate trail mix, or organic multigrain chips ($3-$5) instead of the chocolate chip cookies, Pringles, or M&M's ($3).
More on Healthy Travel
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
I tried some OLOVES OLIVES on Continental which were really tasty - does anyone know where I can buy them in stores in New York?
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Things NOT to Do at Walt Disney World | Fodor's
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- Where to Go This Thanksgiving
- New Orleans' 10 Best Bars for Classic Cocktails
- Fall 2014 Guide to Paris | Fodor's
- 10 Best Biking Cities in the U.S.
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- 10 Walking Food Tours Around the U.S.
- World's Best Fashion Museums
- How to Tip When Traveling Around the World | Fodor's
- $197 & up -- Maine: 4-Star Portland Waterfront HotelThe Westin Portland Harborview
- $850* & up -- Global Sale on 5-Star Airline, R/T incl. TaxQatar Airways
- $99-$109 -- Downtown Memphis Hotel on Weekdays, 35% OffSheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel
- $893* & up -- Fly to Brazil from the U.S. (Roundtrip)TAM Airlines
- $299 & up -- Boston 4-Star Hotel near Newbury St., 30% OffSheraton Boston
- $139 & up -- 4-Star Ft. Lauderdale Resort & Spa, Save 60%The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale