Airline Food Update: Healthy In-Flight Snacks
ContinentalContinental's economy class doesn't offer complimentary snacks on short flights, so you won't be tempted to nibble something just because it's free. If you purchase a snack ($1.75-$4.75), the roasted almonds or beef jerky are healthier choices than the tempting M&M's, Pringles, or pretzel dips.
DeltaWhen you travel economy on Delta, choose the complimentary protein-packed peanuts or low-fat pretzels over the cookies. If you'd rather fill up on free beverages, stick with water, coffee, or tea and skip the sweet soda pop.
jetBlueIf you're craving salt, resist the popular Doritos Munchies Mix in favor of the low-calorie PopCorners Popcorn Chips or natural Terra Blues Chips. For something sweet, the animal crackers will satisfy with less fat and calories than the cookie options.
UnitedNo complimentary snacks are offered on United's short, economy class flights, but they offer plenty of snacks for purchase. The least expensive choices—chocolate bars and Pringles ($2.99 each)—are the most unhealthy, so consider splurging a bit for one of the fresh menu options, like a fruit and yogurt parfait ($5.49). If you go with a Snackbox, pick the light option ($6.99), which includes unsweetened applesauce, lemon pepper tuna, and a few low-cal goodies.
US AirwaysIf you get the munchies on a US Airways flight, you'll have to open your wallet. Opt for the roasted almonds, blueberry pomegranate trail mix, or organic multigrain chips ($3-$5) instead of the chocolate chip cookies, Pringles, or M&M's ($3).
More on Healthy Travel
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
I tried some OLOVES OLIVES on Continental which were really tasty - does anyone know where I can buy them in stores in New York?
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $499 & up -- Canary Islands & Morocco 9-Nt. Cruise w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $899 & up -- Dreams: 4-Star Cancun Beach Retreat w/AirApple Vacations
- $130 & up -- Downtown Chicago 4-Star Hotel, Save 45%The Westin Chicago River North
- $1045 & up -- Oahu & Kauai 6-Nts. w/Air, Hotels & TransfersTripMasters.com
- $234 & up -- Cayman Island Travel Deals; Save up to 40%Cayman Islands Department of Tourism
- $149-$169 -- 4-Star Lake Las Vegas Resort, Save 25%Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa