London 2012 Olympic Planner: Hotels, Tickets, and Transportation
After Beijing's mind-boggling display at the 2008 Olympic Games, the baton was passed to London to host the 2012 Olympic Games. The handover performance at the Beijing Olympics' curtain call—featuring a double-decker bus and umbrella-toting commuters—was a typically English affair: slapstick, tongue-in-cheek, and devoid of bombast. Overshadowed by Beijing's mesmerizing show, however, some decried London's lack of ambition. But it was a confident, offbeat, and fun display that was so very British. The unmistakable message was: come to London and enjoy yourself.
Now that London's Olympic games are just over a year away—they're to be held July 27 to August 12, 2012—it's time to start planning your trip. The first round of ticket sales ends Friday, April 22. Here's what you need to know about scoring a seat, booking your flight, and choosing the right hotel base for the big event.
As it turns out, Britain has been allotted the lion's share (a whopping 70%) of 2012 Olympic event tickets, leaving the rest of the world to fight over the remaining 30%. Add on the fact that British nationals could also pay lower prices altogether (thanks to various discounts and promotions such as Pay Your Age), and your long-lost, London-based aunt may well be your best source of tickets.
Failing a local connection, you can request advance tickets from Cosport through Friday, April 22, 2011, and look for a confirmation email sometime in May. Indeed, it's not a done deal: All requests will be reviewed after the closing date, and allotted based on availability. Visa is the only credit card accepted for bookings, and the price includes free public transport on the day of your event. Any remaining tickets are expected to go on sale sometime in June 2011.
Hotels and Flights
London may have over 100,000 hotel rooms, but you'll still need to book your hotel as far ahead as possible, especially if you want to be near Olympic Park. Flights are also going to get snapped up close to the event, so start looking for deals as early as July 2011, when airlines start releasing tickets for the year ahead. Package deals that combine airfare and hotel can also shave significant dollars off the overall cost.
Upgraded public transit will put most Central London hotels within easy reach of the main stadium in East London, but those near the Tube's Jubilee line will fare best. That said, many sporting events will be held elsewhere, from beach volleyball at Horse Guards Parade to tennis at—where else?—Wimbledon.
Plan Your London Trip
- London Destination Guide
- London Hotel Reviews
- London 2012 Olympic Preview: Construction and Venues
- London 2012 Olympics Official Site
Photo Credit: Visit London
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Where to Go This Summer
- 4 Great Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Beginner's Guide to Glamping
- Bangkok 101: What (and Where) to Eat
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Summer 2013 Guide to New York City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3152 & up -- Italy Luxury Trip w/Air & Rail between CitiesSceptre Tours
- $92 -- Cabo: All-Inclusive Beachfront Resort, Save 50%Hotel Riu Sante Fe
- $150 & Up -- Old Montreal 4-Diamond Hotel, 40% OffLe Westin Montreal
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/ToursDown Under Answers