London 2012 Olympic Planner: Hotels, Tickets, and Transportation
Buying TicketsAs it turns out, Britain has been allotted the lion's share (a whopping 70%) of 2012 Olympic event tickets, leaving the rest of the world to fight over the remaining 30%. Add on the fact that British nationals could also pay lower prices altogether (thanks to various discounts and promotions such as Pay Your Age), and your long-lost, London-based aunt may well be your best source of tickets. Failing a local connection, you can request advance tickets from Cosport through Friday, April 22, 2011, and look for a confirmation email sometime in May. Indeed, it's not a done deal: All requests will be reviewed after the closing date, and allotted based on availability. Visa is the only credit card accepted for bookings, and the price includes free public transport on the day of your event. Any remaining tickets are expected to go on sale sometime in June 2011.
Hotels and FlightsLondon may have over 100,000 hotel rooms, but you'll still need to book your hotel as far ahead as possible, especially if you want to be near Olympic Park. Flights are also going to get snapped up close to the event, so start looking for deals as early as July 2011, when airlines start releasing tickets for the year ahead. Package deals that combine airfare and hotel can also shave significant dollars off the overall cost. Upgraded public transit will put most Central London hotels within easy reach of the main stadium in East London, but those near the Tube's Jubilee line will fare best. That said, many sporting events will be held elsewhere, from beach volleyball at Horse Guards Parade to tennis at—where else?—Wimbledon.
Plan Your London Trip
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1225 & Up -- Waikiki: 4-Star Hilton Oceanview Stay w/AirApple Vacations
- $606* & up -- Fly to Peru from Across the US (R/T incl. Tax)LAN
- $69* & up -- Nationwide Fall Fares into November, One WayVirgin America
- $599 & up -- Western Mediterranean 7-Day Cruise w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $599 & up -- 5-Nt. Jamaica All-Incl. Getaway w/Air, 45% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $170 & up -- Downtown LA Hotel incl. Weekends, 40% OffSheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel