Once you're in Europe, use the ATMs for the best exchange rate.
Member Comments (5) Post a Comment
I had a 6 digit # PIN for a Bank of America ATM. Did NOT work in Europe, so once back we had to change to a new 4 digit # PIN, acceptable in Europe. Haven't had a problem since, BUT...!!! Still with our ATM card, and also MasterCard (which is Citibank)we must notifly both banks in advance of travel we will be using cards, and for which country/countries, and planned dates of travel.
I lived in France off and on for some 10 years and found many of the automated gas stations (as in petrol) refused to take some credit cards such as Canadian and Hong Kong-issued Visa and Mastercard even when the pumps advertised those cards as acceptable. More than a few times, a bemused Frenchman would see the problem and tell that this disfunction was common knowledge in France and would offer to use their own cards for me in return for cash on the spot. Go figure.
When I was in europe, I had a PIN and it still didn't work in ATMs there. Especially France. Apparently with mastercard you have to get an international PIN in some cases
In response to panchosays: A few years ago, one of my PIN's was a word, NOT numbers. When I tried to use that card in Europe, I found no letters, only numbers. It took lots of guessing to come up with the correct numbers to use.
Now that YOU mention this, dear Fodor's, i'll have less difficulty convincing U.S. travelers to forget travelers checks and waiting in line in some foreign bank. WHY do they resist ATMs in foreign countries? And, it's rude in a foreign country to pay, or tip, with AmericanDollars with attitude they are more valuable. Also, please educate travelers that screen on foreign ATMs designate the currency used in THAT country, but with convenient option of viewing in English language.
May i inquire: aren't PINS for U.S. credit/debit cards the same worldwide?
saludos, Pancho Shiell / www.panchosays.com
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- America's 10 Best Cocktail Bars
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- 10 Best Home Estate Tours in the U.S.
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- 4 Reasons to Explore the Alentejo | Fodor's
- $798* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $169-$239 -- 4-Star Downtown Nashville Hotel, Save 45%Sheraton Nashville Downtown
- $169 & up -- Downtown Los Angeles 4-Star Hotel, $100 OffThe Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
- $338* & up -- Fare Sale to Europe (One-Way, R/T Required)LOT Polish Airlines
- $699 & up -- Puerto Vallarta Beach Vacation w/AirApple Vacations
- $118 & up -- FL Keys: 4.5-Star Waterfront Resort, 65% OffBookIt.com