Once you're in Europe, use the ATMs for the best exchange rate.
Member Comments (5) Post a Comment
I had a 6 digit # PIN for a Bank of America ATM. Did NOT work in Europe, so once back we had to change to a new 4 digit # PIN, acceptable in Europe. Haven't had a problem since, BUT...!!! Still with our ATM card, and also MasterCard (which is Citibank)we must notifly both banks in advance of travel we will be using cards, and for which country/countries, and planned dates of travel.
I lived in France off and on for some 10 years and found many of the automated gas stations (as in petrol) refused to take some credit cards such as Canadian and Hong Kong-issued Visa and Mastercard even when the pumps advertised those cards as acceptable. More than a few times, a bemused Frenchman would see the problem and tell that this disfunction was common knowledge in France and would offer to use their own cards for me in return for cash on the spot. Go figure.
When I was in europe, I had a PIN and it still didn't work in ATMs there. Especially France. Apparently with mastercard you have to get an international PIN in some cases
In response to panchosays: A few years ago, one of my PIN's was a word, NOT numbers. When I tried to use that card in Europe, I found no letters, only numbers. It took lots of guessing to come up with the correct numbers to use.
Now that YOU mention this, dear Fodor's, i'll have less difficulty convincing U.S. travelers to forget travelers checks and waiting in line in some foreign bank. WHY do they resist ATMs in foreign countries? And, it's rude in a foreign country to pay, or tip, with AmericanDollars with attitude they are more valuable. Also, please educate travelers that screen on foreign ATMs designate the currency used in THAT country, but with convenient option of viewing in English language.
May i inquire: aren't PINS for U.S. credit/debit cards the same worldwide?
saludos, Pancho Shiell / www.panchosays.com
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- Exchanging Your Money Abroad: 10 Simple Tips
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Italy: What to Skip, and Where to Go Instead
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- $103-$116 -- Weekends at 4-Star Houston Hotel near GalleriaWestin Oaks Houston at the Galleria
- $51 & up -- South Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, Save 35%Landmark Resort
- $129 & up -- Southwest Florida 4-Diamond Resort, Save 60%The Westin Cape Coral Resort at Marina Village
- $1788 -- Escorted Ireland Trip incl. Dublin & Castle StayCIE Tours International
- $80 & up -- Houston Hotel Sale incl. Westins, 60% OffStarwood Hotels & Resorts
- $159-$199 -- 4-Star Charlotte Hotel incl. Weekends, 35% OffThe Westin Charlotte