Free Admission to National Parks: April 16–24
Celebrate "America's Best Idea" with free admission to all the U.S. national parks from Saturday, April 16 to Sunday, April 22 as part of National Park Week. Over 100 of the parks usually charge entrance fees, but you can also save with parks passes throughout the year. Other free days for 2011 include June 21 for the first day of summer, September 24 for National Public Lands Day, and November 11–13 for Veterans Day weekend.
Top Parks for Spring Visits
Carlsbad Caverns National Park: Look for the Mexican free-tailed bar inside this massive cave system; the caverns remain in the mid-50s year-round.
Canyonlands National Park: Spring brings more backpackers and back-country vehicles; four-wheel drive trails are used for Jeep Safari over Easter week.
Great Smoky Mountains National Park: See buttercups, columbine, arbutus, and hundreds more flowers at the Wildflower Pilgrimage.
Saguaro National Park: Before summer heat arrives, celebrate cacti and desert wildflowers at the annual Saguaro Festival.
Plan Your National Park Trip
- Fodor's National Parks Travel Guide
- The 8 Best National Park Lodges of the West
- Interview: Ken Burns Shares His National Park Experiences
Photo Credit: Saguaros and wildflowers courtesy National Park Service
Member Comments (3) Post a Comment
We are huge supporters of the National Parks. But it would have been really nice to have had a heads up about this event before it was half over! Maybe next year you can put it on your calendar to talk about National Parks Week at least a month before it happens so people could plan.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Ultimate Safari Planner
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays