Free Admission to National Parks: April 16–24
Celebrate "America's Best Idea" with free admission to all the U.S. national parks from Saturday, April 16 to Sunday, April 22 as part of National Park Week. Over 100 of the parks usually charge entrance fees, but you can also save with parks passes throughout the year. Other free days for 2011 include June 21 for the first day of summer, September 24 for National Public Lands Day, and November 11–13 for Veterans Day weekend.
Top Parks for Spring Visits
Carlsbad Caverns National Park: Look for the Mexican free-tailed bar inside this massive cave system; the caverns remain in the mid-50s year-round.
Canyonlands National Park: Spring brings more backpackers and back-country vehicles; four-wheel drive trails are used for Jeep Safari over Easter week.
Great Smoky Mountains National Park: See buttercups, columbine, arbutus, and hundreds more flowers at the Wildflower Pilgrimage.
Saguaro National Park: Before summer heat arrives, celebrate cacti and desert wildflowers at the annual Saguaro Festival.
Plan Your National Park Trip
- Fodor's National Parks Travel Guide
- The 8 Best National Park Lodges of the West
- Interview: Ken Burns Shares His National Park Experiences
Photo Credit: Saguaros and wildflowers courtesy National Park Service
You May Also Like
Member Comments (3) Post a Comment
We are huge supporters of the National Parks. But it would have been really nice to have had a heads up about this event before it was half over! Maybe next year you can put it on your calendar to talk about National Parks Week at least a month before it happens so people could plan.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com