Tips for Visiting Westminster Abbey
- Photography and filming are not permitted anywhere in the abbey.
- In winter the interior of the abbey can get quite cold; dress accordingly.
- For an animated history of the museum, join one of the tours that depart from the information desk, tour times vary.
- Touring the abbey can take half a day, especially in summer, when lines are long.
- To avoid the crowds, make sure you arrive early. If you’re first in line you can enjoy parts of the abbey in relative calm before the mad rush descends.
- If you want to study up before you go, visit www.westminster-abbey.org/, which includes an in-depth history and self-guided tour of the abbey. Otherwise pick up a free leaflet from the information desk.
- On Sundays the abbey is not open to visitors. Join a service instead. Check the Web site for service times, as well as details of concerts, organ recitals, and special events.
Plan Your Trip to London
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Invaluable information you've provided!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- Where to Eat in Orlando Now
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1092* & up -- Fly to Argentina from Across the U.S. (R/T)LAN
- $679 & up -- Cabo: Riu Resort w/Kid's Club Trip incl. AirApple Vacations
- $119 & up -- 4-Star San Diego Hotels, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $1045 & up -- Oahu & Kauai 6-Nts. w/Air, Hotels & TransfersTripMasters.com
- $179-$199 -- S.C. Hilton Head Island 4-Star Resort, 30% OffHilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa
- $1609 -- Ireland: 5-Star Vacation w/Four Season From OrlandoAer Lingus Vacation Store