Be prepared for any travel situation by packing these Fodorite recommended household items.
Suze always brings safety pins: "They take up no space and can do what nothing else can (fix clothes, pin closed curtains, etc.)"
For packaging small items, Melnq8 recommends small cellophane zip top bags from craft stores, "perfect for earrings, bracelets and small amounts of aspirin, vitamins, whatever" and tenthumbs uses empty toilet paper or paper towel cardboard tubes for electronic cords. Speaking of electronics, boots08 recommends using a plastic soap dish container to protect your digital camera.
The most popular household item to pack? The ever versatile duct tape. Fodorites Steelersfan and Neuman605, and Iowa_Redhead all recommend it. You never know what it can come in handy. "We always travel with duct tape. Once had to give it to a flight attendant to tape a tray table in place so our flight could take off!" Neuman605.
Share the household items you love to pack in the comment below.
Member Comments (2) Post a Comment
Having a couple of zip loc bags to store wet things is useful. We always pack a duffle that folds up into a pouch, for bringing home newly acquired items.
We got stuck in a snowdrift in the mountains one spring and had to dig out with cheap wooden salad bowls I had brought to use for picnics. Now they are a standby.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Ultimate Safari Planner
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays