Be prepared for any travel situation by packing these Fodorite recommended household items.
Suze always brings safety pins: "They take up no space and can do what nothing else can (fix clothes, pin closed curtains, etc.)"
For packaging small items, Melnq8 recommends small cellophane zip top bags from craft stores, "perfect for earrings, bracelets and small amounts of aspirin, vitamins, whatever" and tenthumbs uses empty toilet paper or paper towel cardboard tubes for electronic cords. Speaking of electronics, boots08 recommends using a plastic soap dish container to protect your digital camera.
The most popular household item to pack? The ever versatile duct tape. Fodorites Steelersfan and Neuman605, and Iowa_Redhead all recommend it. You never know what it can come in handy. "We always travel with duct tape. Once had to give it to a flight attendant to tape a tray table in place so our flight could take off!" Neuman605.
Share the household items you love to pack in the comment below.
You May Also Like
Member Comments (2) Post a Comment
Having a couple of zip loc bags to store wet things is useful. We always pack a duffle that folds up into a pouch, for bringing home newly acquired items.
We got stuck in a snowdrift in the mountains one spring and had to dig out with cheap wooden salad bowls I had brought to use for picnics. Now they are a standby.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- 4 Perfect Japan Itineraries
- NYC's Best New Outdoor Watering Holes
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- The Ultimate Packing Guide for Europe
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com