Prepare in advance for health issues in South America.
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
My husband and I were in Peru -an Amazon River Cruise and Machu Picchu- about 3 weeks ago. We had numerous shots, took malaria pills plus pills for altitude sickness, which seemed to work well in Cusco and Machu Picchu. We also had bug off clothes and Deet which we wore and used in the Amazon. But somewhere, maybe Iquitos or outside Cusco, my husband got bug bits only where his socks were. They continue to itch and his ankles are still swollen, especially later in the day. I had no problem but my suggestion would be to use the Deet spray anywhere you go!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- 10 Best Halloween Celebrations in the U.S.
- America's 10 Best Cocktail Bars
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- Fall 2014 Guide to Washington, D.C.
- $1248* & up -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $329-$379 -- 4-Star Grand Cayman Beach Resort, Save 45%The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
- $798* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $44 & up -- Las Vegas Upscale Resort Sale incl. ExtrasLasVegas.com
- $1999 -- China: Last Minute Luxe Yangtze River Cruise w/AirSinorama Holidays
- $999 & up -- Weeklong Cozumel All-Incl. Vacation incl. AirApple Vacations