Prepare in advance for health issues in South America.
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
My husband and I were in Peru -an Amazon River Cruise and Machu Picchu- about 3 weeks ago. We had numerous shots, took malaria pills plus pills for altitude sickness, which seemed to work well in Cusco and Machu Picchu. We also had bug off clothes and Deet which we wore and used in the Amazon. But somewhere, maybe Iquitos or outside Cusco, my husband got bug bits only where his socks were. They continue to itch and his ankles are still swollen, especially later in the day. I had no problem but my suggestion would be to use the Deet spray anywhere you go!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 15 Things NOT to Do in New York City
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- 10 Best Regional Theaters in the U.S.
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- $161 & up -- Boston 4-Star Hotel near Newbury St., 30% OffSheraton Boston
- $78 & up -- NYC: Manhattan Hotel near Times Square, 70% OffBookIt.com
- $3525 -- Kenya Land-Only Safari incl. Masai MaraAfrican Travel, Inc.
- $119-$139 -- Hilton Head 4-Star Beachfront Resort, 30% OffHilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa
- $159 & up -- 4-Star Midtown Manhattan Westin, 40% OffThe Westin New York Grand Central
- $175 & up -- San Juan 4-Diamond Hotel, Save 35%Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino