Prepare in advance for health issues in South America.
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
My husband and I were in Peru -an Amazon River Cruise and Machu Picchu- about 3 weeks ago. We had numerous shots, took malaria pills plus pills for altitude sickness, which seemed to work well in Cusco and Machu Picchu. We also had bug off clothes and Deet which we wore and used in the Amazon. But somewhere, maybe Iquitos or outside Cusco, my husband got bug bits only where his socks were. They continue to itch and his ankles are still swollen, especially later in the day. I had no problem but my suggestion would be to use the Deet spray anywhere you go!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Stunning Hotels in Unexpected Places
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- 10 Restaurants Worth a Day Trip in Europe
- 10 of Hemingway's Favorite Haunts
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- Best Credit Cards for Travelers
- World's Most Luxurious Wine Country Hotels
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1647 & up -- Dublin & Giant's Causeway Trip w/Air & ToursGreat Value Vacations
- $1561* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand
- $75 & up -- Nationwide Virgin America Sale into October, O/WVirgin America
- $127-$144 -- Colorado: 4-Star Steamboat Springs ResortSheraton Steamboat Springs
- $139* & up -- Nationwide Fare Sale on American, R/TAmerican Airlines
- $1282* & up -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand