Prepare in advance for health issues in South America.
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
My husband and I were in Peru -an Amazon River Cruise and Machu Picchu- about 3 weeks ago. We had numerous shots, took malaria pills plus pills for altitude sickness, which seemed to work well in Cusco and Machu Picchu. We also had bug off clothes and Deet which we wore and used in the Amazon. But somewhere, maybe Iquitos or outside Cusco, my husband got bug bits only where his socks were. They continue to itch and his ankles are still swollen, especially later in the day. I had no problem but my suggestion would be to use the Deet spray anywhere you go!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- 10 of Hemingway's Favorite Haunts
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- How to Renew Your Passport
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Wine Lover's Guide to South Africa
- 8 Cooling Beauty Products for Beating the Heat
- How to Use Twitter to Rebook a Canceled Flight
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $3115 & up -- Bora Bora Upscale 5-Nt. Retreat incl. AirTahiti.com
- $69.50 & up -- Nicaragua Hotel & Vacation Deals, Save 70%Nicaragua Tourism Board
- $3039 & up -- Cape Town Adventure w/Tours, Air & SafariGreat Value Vacations
- $9.10 & up -- Car Rentals across the U.S.CarRentals.com
- $899 -- Suite on Princess 7-Night Cruises w/$275 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $79 -- Weekends at Dallas 4-Diamond Hotel, Save 50%Sheraton Dallas Hotel by the Galleria