From Fodor's Washington D.C., 1984
"Washingtonians, male and female, live up to the stereotypical image of government bureaucrats wearing conservative three piece suits and carrying attaché cases. But Washingtonians are somewhat like chameleons, and the degree of formality depends on who is President. Since Ronald and Nancy Reagan came to town, the accent has been on elegance at dinner parties the likes of which have not been seen since the Madisons and Monroes were in the White House. In fact, the sale of women's white gloves has jumped sharply."
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Places Where Summer Lasts Longer
- 10 Best Home Estate Tours in the U.S.
- 10 Things NOT to Do at Walt Disney World | Fodor's
- How to Tip When Traveling Around the World | Fodor's
- Top 10 Things to Do in Sonoma County (Besides Drink Wine)
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- Where to Go This Thanksgiving
- New Orleans' 10 Best Bars for Classic Cocktails
- Fall Travel: 5 Essentials for a Hudson Valley Escape | Fodor's
- Fall 2014 Guide to Chicago
- $265 & up -- Riviera Maya: Uninhibited Adults-Only ResortHidden Beach Resort
- $679* & up -- Europe Fall Fares on 'Best Airline' (R/T)Lufthansa Airlines
- $2583* & up -- Fly to Australia in Premium Economy, R/TAir New Zealand
- $56 & up -- Myrtle Beach Oceanfront 1-Bedroom Suite, 10% OffOcean Dunes Resort
- $629 & up -- Weeklong Bermuda Cruises incl. ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $798* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
* Some taxes, fees additional