From Fodor's Washington D.C., 1984
"Washingtonians, male and female, live up to the stereotypical image of government bureaucrats wearing conservative three piece suits and carrying attaché cases. But Washingtonians are somewhat like chameleons, and the degree of formality depends on who is President. Since Ronald and Nancy Reagan came to town, the accent has been on elegance at dinner parties the likes of which have not been seen since the Madisons and Monroes were in the White House. In fact, the sale of women's white gloves has jumped sharply."
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now | Fodor's
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- 13 Family-Friendly Hotels for Your Next Big Vacation
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- 10 Best Home Estate Tours in the U.S.
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally | Fodor's
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- Fall Travel: 5 Essentials for a Hudson Valley Escape | Fodor's
- $169 & up -- Downtown Los Angeles 4-Star Hotel, $100 OffThe Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
- $233-$269 -- NYC: Times Square Hotel incl. Holidays, 35% OffThe Westin New York Times Square
- $2699 -- Yangtze River Cruise & Shanghai-Overnight w/AirSinorama Holidays
- $139-$159 -- 4-Star San Diego Hotel incl. Holidays, 50% OffThe Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
- $8.55 & up -- Car Rentals across the U.S.CarRentals.com
- $1291 & up -- Volcano & Beach Self-Drive Costa Rica TripGreat Value Vacations
* Some taxes, fees additional