From Fodor's Washington D.C., 1984
"Washingtonians, male and female, live up to the stereotypical image of government bureaucrats wearing conservative three piece suits and carrying attaché cases. But Washingtonians are somewhat like chameleons, and the degree of formality depends on who is President. Since Ronald and Nancy Reagan came to town, the accent has been on elegance at dinner parties the likes of which have not been seen since the Madisons and Monroes were in the White House. In fact, the sale of women's white gloves has jumped sharply."
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Where to Go This Thanksgiving
- 10 Things NOT to Do at Walt Disney World | Fodor's
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- New Orleans' 10 Best Bars for Classic Cocktails
- Fall 2014 Guide to Paris | Fodor's
- 10 Best Biking Cities in the U.S.
- Top 10 Things to Do in Sonoma County (Besides Drink Wine)
- World's 10 Best Art Fairs
- World's Best Fashion Museums
- How to Tip When Traveling Around the World | Fodor's
- $125 & up -- Tucson, AZ: 4-Diamond Resort, Save 60%The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa
- $112 & up -- Florida Gulf Coast 4-Star Hotel, Save 55%The Westin Cape Coral Resort at Marina Village
- $139-$149 -- Colorado 4-Star Vail Riverfront Resort, 70% OffThe Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa at Beaver Creek Mountain
- $893* & up -- Fly to Brazil from the U.S. (Roundtrip)TAM Airlines
- $479 & up -- Weeklong Bermuda Cruises incl. ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $798* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
* Some taxes, fees additional