5 Top Tips for Viewing Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
- March 26: The National Building Museum kicks off the fest with all-day activities.
- March 26 and 27: The Freer Gallery will host an "Arts of Japan" tour.
- March 31: Tudor Place will lead a house and garden tour while serving cherry mimosas.
- April 9: The Japan Society of Washington hosts the popular Sakura Matsuri Japanese Street Festival along Pennsylvania Ave ($5 admission).
- a peanut butter and jelly fois gras with dried cherry jelly at Georgia Brown's
- cherry blossom special chirashi at Kaz Sushi Bistro
- a cherry-hibiscus cocktail at Quill, the bar at The Jefferson Hotel
- cherry blossom cupcakes at Georgetown Cupcake.
- Cherry-trees line the streets in Foxhall Village, near Georgetown, making for a nice stroll.
- The U.S. National Arboretum has a large number of flowering cherry trees.
- The popular gardens at Dumbarton Oaks are home to cherry and other flowering plants.
- Across the District line in Bethesda, MD, the Kenwood neighborhood is a favorite among locals. Cherry blossom trees flower over neighborhood streets, forming pink tunnels that are fun to walk or drive through. For a real treat, take a bike ride from Georgetown along the Capital Crescent Trail to Kenwood.
Member Comments (4) Post a Comment
The lovely cherry blossom, I love to Washington
If you miss the DC cherry blossoms, make the historical connection (weeks later) in Portsmouth NH. The DC trees were a gift from Japan to thank the US for hosting the peace conference that ended the Russo-Japanese War -- in Portsmouth NH. The chief Japanese diplomat Baron Komura who negotiated the Portsmouth Peace Treaty was from Nichinan, Japan -- now Portsmouth's Sister City and the source of a dozen cherry trees planted around the tidal South Mill Pond adjacent to City Hall. For the whole cherry blossom story, see: http://www.examiner.com/landmarks-in-manchester/cherry-blossoms-portsmouth-nh-share-historic-dc-roots
They missed the number one recommendation- If you want to actually enjoy the blooms without the crowds get there EARLY, as close to dawn as you can because otherwise the crowds are out of control. If you must drive dawn is also about the only time to easily find parking. Haines Point is close enough to walk, although they also run a shuttle, and free but the spaces fill very quickly. Metro is by far the best option. If you are going to the Tidal basin don't forget to swing up towards the mall to see the ones around the Washington Monumnet. But check what else is going on. It is not unheard of for the Cherry Blossom festival to correspond to the national marathon and the kite festival as well as the occassional walk-a-thon.
Cherry-lined trees are breathtaking - makes you feel warm and put you in a good mood. I haven't been to Tidal Basin but will surely check it out!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1019 & up -- Iberostar: Cozumel All-Incl. Vacation w/AirApple Vacations
- $139-$179 -- Palm Springs 4-Star Resort, 45% OffThe Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
- $2399 -- Luxe 10-Nt. Caribbean Cruise incl. Air, Save $2000Oceania Cruises
- $69* & up -- Nationwide Spring Fares into June, One WayVirgin America
- $1778 & up -- Peru & Machu Picchu 7-Nt. Trip w/Air & TourTripMasters.com
- $769 & up -- Cancun: Iberostar Garden Bungalow Escape w/AirApple Vacations