Japan Travel News: New Flight Cancellation Policies
Were you planning a Japan trip? Many airlines are offering travel waivers, re-booking, or cancellations with limited or no change fees for flights serving Japan in the next few weeks. Many of these options have a limited window of opportunity so it's best to get informed now. Contact your airline directly to discuss your options.
While it may be difficult to predict what will happen in a few weeks, Japan's power, transportation, and communications systems have all been affected by the earthquake and tsunami—plus there are many concerns about radiation levels from nuclear power plants. At this writing, the current U.S. travel warning (expiring April 1) says "The Department of State requests all non-emergency official U.S. government personnel defer travel to Japan and urges U.S. citizens to avoid tourism and non-essential travel to Japan at this time." Read full text.
- All Nippon Airways: Charges/Fees Waiver Policies
- American Airlines: Japan Travel Policy
- Continental: Japan Re-accommodations
- Delta: Japan Travel Advisory
- Japan Air: International Flights Update
- United: Japan Travel Waiver
From the Forums
Here are some thoughts on whether or not to change Japan plans, from well-traveled members on our Asia Forum.
"Right now (that is, this week) is pretty certainly not the time to be visiting Japan, as much as one would want to show support for the country." —rizzuto
"I keep telling myself 'it will be better by then' but now I'm starting to wonder . . . Yes, we were planning to go mid-April, but I would like to decide in the next week or so." —Kristina
"After much thought and back and forth, we've decided to forgo our trip to Japan in early April to a later date (possibly next year?)" —filmwill
"I'm up in the air also as I am supposed to leave in a little over two weeks - even though I am going straight to Kyoto . . . I will end up in Tokyo for a couple of days - that will be almost the middle of April."—Mara
"We have been planning a 5-week May/June trip for several months . . . We're pretty patient (love that British "keep calm and carry on" attitude) and usually take a wait-and-see approach . . .[but] we regretfully decided tonight to cancel the northern Honshu part of our trip"—aprillilacs
Are you changing your upcoming Japan plans?
You May Also Like
Member Comments (2) Post a Comment
We purchased our tickets for 2 weeks in Japan just last week for August with SQ. I don't want to cancel because of the heavy penality but I think I will have to.
My son and I have his high school graduation trip planned from June 5th-21st in Japan. We are waiting to see what happens daily and since we are flying with Continental we are also waiting to see what they do with our flights. I have told him to come up with alternative countries to visit, unfortunately. We have been looking forward to going to Japan, but we are so sad to see what the Japanese people are going through right now!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Where to Go This Summer
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 4 Great Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Beginner's Guide to Glamping
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Bangkok 101: What (and Where) to Eat
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Fodor's Approved: Best Summer Weekend Bags
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3152 & up -- Italy Luxury Trip w/Air & Rail between CitiesSceptre Tours
- $92 -- Cabo: All-Inclusive Beachfront Resort, Save 50%Hotel Riu Sante Fe
- $150 & Up -- Old Montreal 4-Diamond Hotel, 40% OffLe Westin Montreal
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/ToursDown Under Answers