Big Island Tsunami Update: Hawaii Hotel News
Are you headed to Hawaii soon? While evacuations and precautions thankfully ensured the safety of residents and visitors, the recent tsunami caused some property damage, mainly to waterfront properties and boats. At this writing, two Big Island hotels are closed. If you have a booking at any of these properties, be sure to contact them.
Kona Village Resort
From their website: "Kona Village Resort . . . will close for an extended period of time due to the significant structural and property damage it sustained during last weekâ€™s earthquake-generated tsunami. We are very sad to close Kona Village Resort for an extended period of time, but the damage to the property from this natural disaster is severe enough to render it inoperable"
Read the Fodor's review.
The Four Seasons Resort at Hualalai
From their website: "Four Seasons Resort Hualalai is closed until April 30 due to damage from the recent earthquake-generated tsunami. The Resort sustained damage from the storm surge, which brought water, sand and debris onto the grounds. Clean-up efforts have already begun and we look forward to welcoming guests back to the Resort soon. "
Read the Fodor's review.
For more detailed information, see the Hawaii Tourism Authority's Tsunami Information page.
You May Also Like
Member Comments (3) Post a Comment
If you look at the forums, you will find updates on one thread from 4S reporting that they will be closed a full month longer then previously thought. You will also find a video that shows that KVR damage is significant and quite crippling.
on Mar 17, 11 at 03:00 PM
Hi Kealalani - Thanks for the update. We've checked in with the properties and revised this information.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com