Spring Break Ski Savings Spotlight: Keystone, Colorado
Think that you missed your last chance for a ski or snowboard trip now that President's Week is over? Savvy skiers know that March is one of the best months for trips with solid bases and less crowds. Plus, better savings means the whole gang can go. Instead of one of the more massive—and pricey—Colorado resorts, consider a classic family-favorite like Keystone. One of the closest major resorts to Denver and popular with locals, this underrated Rockies resort has 135 trails and a 3,100 vertical drop in feet, uncrowded back bowls, one of the country's best terrain parks, and an adventure park with snowtubing and more.
Condo Steals and Dining DealsWith two great deals between now and the end of the season and a variety of lodging choices, Keystone is sure to have something to fit your needs, from studios condos and standard hotel rooms to townhomes and 5-bedroom chalets. For Spring Break On Us (March 27–April 9) lodging is buy-one-get-one-free, starting from $75 for a Forest Studio weekday. And Getaway in March (March 6–10 and 20–26) means that Forest Studios start at $132. Two top-tier restaurants with gourmet preparations of local fare are offering special $99 four-course meals for couples. The historic Keystone Ranch is a great place to get a taste of Colorado fine dining in a rustic setting (don't miss the Grand Marnier soufflé for dessert). For a unique on-mountain dining experience, riding the gondolas at night to the 11,444-foot Alpenglow Stube is magical, topped only by the impeccable Bavarian-inspired contemporary food such as wood-grilled Colorado lamb.
Transportation and Gear BasicsDenver's major airport is serviced by more than a dozen airlines, but remember to calculate baggage fees into your ticket price. It may be worth spending up to $50 more per ticket if the airline doesn't have checked baggage fees. Oversized fees may apply if you are traveling with your gear, but sometimes you can save a little by paying for your checked luggage in advance. TIP: To save money—and time—on rentals book them ahead online through rentskis.com. For the 95-mile drive to Keystone, consider an airport transfer shuttle like Colorado Mountain Express. If you are staying for a week, it can be a better deal than a rental car. Once at the resort, a free shuttle system connects the area.
March Magic: Seasonal ScheduleFor Foodies: Get there quick for Keystone Culinary Festival (March 4–6) and delicious events like wine tastings and chocolate classes. For Music Fans: In Keystone Village, the Warren Station Center for the Arts has a regular $5 Friday Night Concert Series (March 11, 18, 25). For Families: As part of Kidtopia (March 12–20), visitors can explore the impressive snow fort at the top of Dercum Mountain and enjoy family-friendly activities throughout the week. For Night Skiers: The lifts run until 8pm so you can get even more runs for your money. For Nature Lovers: Skiers and riders meet at 11am every Friday (through April 1) at the River Run Gondola for a mountain tour led by a naturalist from the Forest Service.
For More Information
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- 10 Best Halloween Celebrations in the U.S.
- America's 10 Best Cocktail Bars
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- Fall 2014 Guide to Washington, D.C.
- $165 & up -- SC: 4-Star Hilton Head Island Resort, Save 40%The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
- $125 & up -- Vancouver Stanley Park Hotel, 40% OffThe Westin Bayshore Vancouver
- $56 & up -- Myrtle Beach Oceanfront 1-Bedroom Suite, 10% OffOcean Dunes Resort
- $2899 -- Hong Kong & China: 10-Night Trip on 5-Star AirlineHong Kong Tourism Board
- $8.55 & up -- Car Rentals across the U.S.CarRentals.com
- $20 & up -- Arizona: Lake, Grand Canyon & Sedona ToursVisit Mesa
* Some taxes, fees additional