Mardi Gras Sweet Spotlight: The King Cake
New Orleans is known for lots of local flavor, from pralines and po' boys to beignets and chicory coffee. But for a true taste of Mardi Gras, you can't beat a King Cake. If you aren't traveling to New Orleans soon, you can even order one today to have the celebration come to you before Fat Tuesday on March 8th.
The King of Cakes
The origins of the King Cake go back to early 12th-century Europe, when a similar-type cake was baked to represent the arrival of the biblical Three Kings on the twelfth day after Christmas. French settlers passed along the tradition in the late 19th-century to the residents of New Orleans. Many years and iterations later, the King Cake lives on, and starting on January 6th, twelve days after Christmas and the first day of Mardi Gras, through Fat Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday, a party isn't complete without a King Cake at hand.
Flavors & Traditions
Traditional King Cakes are a ring-shaped, cinnamon flavored brioche with purple, gold, and green icing for the colors of Mardi Gras. Nowadays, King Cakes come in a variety of flavors and fillings, such as cream cheese or chocolate. A small plastic toy baby, said to represent Baby Jesus, is hidden inside the cake. It's tradition that whoever gets the slice with the hidden baby must host the next Mardi Gras party or buy the King Cake for the next celebration.
Best Bakeries for King Cake
This time of year you can find them all around the area in special bakeries and local grocery stores. Fodorite's recommended these bakeries that will ship a King Cake to anywhere in the U.S. from New Orleans:
So get some friends together, host your own Mardi Gras party, and do as the do in the Big Easy: "Laissez les bons temps rouler" or let the good times roll!
Photo Credits: Happy Mardi Gras doubloon by sandoclr / iStockPhoto, cake close-up by laartistlaartist / iStockPhoto
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Where to Go This Summer
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 4 Great Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Beginner's Guide to Glamping
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Bangkok 101: What (and Where) to Eat
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Fodor's Approved: Best Summer Weekend Bags
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3152 & up -- Italy Luxury Trip w/Air & Rail between CitiesSceptre Tours
- $92 -- Cabo: All-Inclusive Beachfront Resort, Save 50%Hotel Riu Sante Fe
- $150 & Up -- Old Montreal 4-Diamond Hotel, 40% OffLe Westin Montreal
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/ToursDown Under Answers