Are Your Minors Traveling Unaccompanied? Know What Kid's Travel Documents are Needed
Do your kids have spring break plans—with our without you? Learn more about the difference between adult and child passports and when you need special documentation to travel with children. For more information, don't hesitate to bring up some of the following issues when talking to your airline.
Obtain passports for your kids.
Some people neglect passports when their kids are infants; all U.S. citizens are required to have them for international travel from birth on.
Know the rules about getting passports for kids.
Both parents–guardians must be present when trying to obtain a child's passport. If it's not possible for both parents–guardians to be present, the absent party must provide a notarized Statement of Consent. If one parent has sole legal custody, specific paperwork must be present.
Watch passport expiration dates.
Under age 16, passports are good for only 5 years, unlike the 10-year span of an adult's passport.
Observe single parent rules.
Parents flying solo with a child will need written consent from the other parent when flying internationally. Not all agents ask for it domestically (some phone reps will tell you not to bother), but it's best to be prepared.
Know what unaccompanied minors will need.
Children flying alone require Unaccompanied Minor forms, and some airlines, particularly on international routes, also require notarized proof (sometimes from both parents) that the child has permission to travel alone. Contact the airline to make sure you know exactly what forms will be needed.
Photo Credit: MariaPavlova / iStockPhoto
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- America's Best Wine Bars
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays