Are Your Minors Traveling Unaccompanied? Know What Kid's Travel Documents are Needed
Do your kids have spring break plans—with our without you? Learn more about the difference between adult and child passports and when you need special documentation to travel with children. For more information, don't hesitate to bring up some of the following issues when talking to your airline. Obtain passports for your kids. Some people neglect passports when their kids are infants; all U.S. citizens are required to have them for international travel from birth on. Know the rules about getting passports for kids. Both parents–guardians must be present when trying to obtain a child's passport. If it's not possible for both parents–guardians to be present, the absent party must provide a notarized Statement of Consent. If one parent has sole legal custody, specific paperwork must be present. Watch passport expiration dates. Under age 16, passports are good for only 5 years, unlike the 10-year span of an adult's passport. Observe single parent rules. Parents flying solo with a child will need written consent from the other parent when flying internationally. Not all agents ask for it domestically (some phone reps will tell you not to bother), but it's best to be prepared. Know what unaccompanied minors will need. Children flying alone require Unaccompanied Minor forms, and some airlines, particularly on international routes, also require notarized proof (sometimes from both parents) that the child has permission to travel alone. Contact the airline to make sure you know exactly what forms will be needed. Photo Credit: MariaPavlova / iStockPhoto
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Things NOT to Do at Walt Disney World | Fodor's
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- Where to Go This Thanksgiving
- New Orleans' 10 Best Bars for Classic Cocktails
- Fall 2014 Guide to Paris | Fodor's
- 10 Best Biking Cities in the U.S.
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- 10 Walking Food Tours Around the U.S.
- World's Best Fashion Museums
- How to Tip When Traveling Around the World | Fodor's
- $119 & up -- San Diego 4-Star Waterfront Hotel, 35% OffSheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina
- $2583* & up -- Fly to Australia in Premium Economy, R/TAir New Zealand
- $850* & up -- Global Sale on 5-Star Airline, R/T incl. TaxQatar Airways
- $893* & up -- Fly to Brazil from the U.S. (Roundtrip)TAM Airlines
- $91 & up -- 4-Star Lake Las Vegas Resort, Save 30%Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
- $2999 -- 20-Nt. China Vacation w/Yangtze River Cruise & AirChina National Tourism Office
* Some taxes, fees additional