Know when to tip—and not to tip—in Australia
Member Comments (8) Post a Comment
I think you need further qualifications here. While a small percentage of Australians don't tip at all (often older Australians), in major cities in upmarket restaurants most people tip 10% for good service.
on Feb 9, 11 at 11:56 AM
Tip is corrected above, thanks again everyone.
on Feb 9, 11 at 10:00 AM
Thanks for bringing this to our attention everyone. There's definitely something wrong here and we're in the process of correcting this tip now.
One more vote for "not correct". We rarely, if ever, leave a tip in a cafe or restaurant - it's not expected.
I agree with Nelsonian. It is more of a hope than an expectation. If it is on the bill, then you are being conned. There is no extra service charge or tax. Our GST (goods and services tax) is not charged separately. It is and must by law be included in the stated price. For example, there is no,"$25 plus tax". Only airlines charge and extra tax or fee. But that is an entire different debate and is changing.
Follow this thread in the forums.
My experiences fly in the face of these tipping suggestions. Once I had a tip returned by restaurant staff even though they had been particularly helpful. It's my understanding that some, perhaps many, restaurants are unionized so the service is built into the tab. There may be a premium on the menu, for instance, for holidays when wages are higher.
As well, Australian travellers -- which is most of the population -- are notorious for resisting the tip culture in other countries.
Nelsonian is correct in that tipping is not expected here in Australia. People might choose to tip after a meal but it is not mandatory nor seriously expected and the amount that might be offered is usually small and not a set percentage.
I cannot remember ever tipping for maid service in a hotel here and I am not alone in this.
This is not correct. Tipping is NOT expected in hotels, restaurants or anywhere else for that matter in Australia or New Zealand. DO NOT TIP at all.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $189-$199 -- Weekends at Downtown Los Angeles 4-Star HotelThe Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
- $149-$179 -- Palm Springs 4-Star Resort, 45% OffThe Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
- $9 & up -- Car Rentals across the U.S.CarRentals.com
- $1289 & up -- 14-Day Cruise to Bermuda, Canada & New EnglandNorwegian Cruise Line
- $69* & up -- Nationwide Spring Fares into June, One WayVirgin America
- $234 & up -- Cayman Island Travel Deals; Save up to 40%Cayman Islands Department of Tourism