Know when to tip—and not to tip—in Australia
Member Comments (8) Post a Comment
I think you need further qualifications here. While a small percentage of Australians don't tip at all (often older Australians), in major cities in upmarket restaurants most people tip 10% for good service.
on Feb 9, 11 at 11:56 AM
Tip is corrected above, thanks again everyone.
on Feb 9, 11 at 10:00 AM
Thanks for bringing this to our attention everyone. There's definitely something wrong here and we're in the process of correcting this tip now.
One more vote for "not correct". We rarely, if ever, leave a tip in a cafe or restaurant - it's not expected.
I agree with Nelsonian. It is more of a hope than an expectation. If it is on the bill, then you are being conned. There is no extra service charge or tax. Our GST (goods and services tax) is not charged separately. It is and must by law be included in the stated price. For example, there is no,"$25 plus tax". Only airlines charge and extra tax or fee. But that is an entire different debate and is changing.
Follow this thread in the forums.
My experiences fly in the face of these tipping suggestions. Once I had a tip returned by restaurant staff even though they had been particularly helpful. It's my understanding that some, perhaps many, restaurants are unionized so the service is built into the tab. There may be a premium on the menu, for instance, for holidays when wages are higher.
As well, Australian travellers -- which is most of the population -- are notorious for resisting the tip culture in other countries.
Nelsonian is correct in that tipping is not expected here in Australia. People might choose to tip after a meal but it is not mandatory nor seriously expected and the amount that might be offered is usually small and not a set percentage.
I cannot remember ever tipping for maid service in a hotel here and I am not alone in this.
This is not correct. Tipping is NOT expected in hotels, restaurants or anywhere else for that matter in Australia or New Zealand. DO NOT TIP at all.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Stunning Hotels in Unexpected Places
- 10 Restaurants Worth a Day Trip in Europe
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- World's Most Luxurious Wine Country Hotels
- Best Credit Cards for Travelers
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- Seafood Lover's Guide to Brittany, France
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $2011* & up -- Premium Economy Fares to Paris (Roundtrip)Air France
- $2899 & up -- Australia: Sydney Trip w/Air & Tours, $460 OffDestination New South Wales
- $199 & up -- Seattle: 4-Star Downtown Hotel, Save 30%Sheraton Seattle Hotel
- $2399 & up -- Australia: Melbourne Escape w/Tours, Save $875Tourism Victoria
- $1140 & up -- Barcelona & Rome 6-Nt. Package w/Air & HotelEuropeanDestinations.com
- $188* -- Coast-to-Coast Fares into October, One WayVirgin America