Know when to tip—and not to tip—in Australia
Member Comments (8) Post a Comment
I think you need further qualifications here. While a small percentage of Australians don't tip at all (often older Australians), in major cities in upmarket restaurants most people tip 10% for good service.
on Feb 9, 11 at 11:56 AM
Tip is corrected above, thanks again everyone.
on Feb 9, 11 at 10:00 AM
Thanks for bringing this to our attention everyone. There's definitely something wrong here and we're in the process of correcting this tip now.
One more vote for "not correct". We rarely, if ever, leave a tip in a cafe or restaurant - it's not expected.
I agree with Nelsonian. It is more of a hope than an expectation. If it is on the bill, then you are being conned. There is no extra service charge or tax. Our GST (goods and services tax) is not charged separately. It is and must by law be included in the stated price. For example, there is no,"$25 plus tax". Only airlines charge and extra tax or fee. But that is an entire different debate and is changing.
Follow this thread in the forums.
My experiences fly in the face of these tipping suggestions. Once I had a tip returned by restaurant staff even though they had been particularly helpful. It's my understanding that some, perhaps many, restaurants are unionized so the service is built into the tab. There may be a premium on the menu, for instance, for holidays when wages are higher.
As well, Australian travellers -- which is most of the population -- are notorious for resisting the tip culture in other countries.
Nelsonian is correct in that tipping is not expected here in Australia. People might choose to tip after a meal but it is not mandatory nor seriously expected and the amount that might be offered is usually small and not a set percentage.
I cannot remember ever tipping for maid service in a hotel here and I am not alone in this.
This is not correct. Tipping is NOT expected in hotels, restaurants or anywhere else for that matter in Australia or New Zealand. DO NOT TIP at all.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Exchanging Your Money Abroad: 10 Simple Tips
- 10 Things to Do in Orlando Besides Theme Parks
- 10 Best Caribbean All-Inclusive Resorts for 2015
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 10 Best Safaris in the U.S.
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 10 Luxurious Log Cabins Across the U.S.
- Ultimate Guide to Louisville's Hip Neighborhoods
- $76-$93 -- SoCal: Rancho Mirage Hotel w/Free ParkingGreater Palm Springs Convention & Visitors Bureau
- $110-$135 -- Aspen, CO: 4-Star Resort into Summer, 60% OffWestin Snowmass Resort
- $89 -- DE: Dewey Beach Bayfront Hotel w/Breakfast, 40% OffHyatt Place Dewey Beach
- $58 -- Ireland: Bunratty Castle Medieval Banquet & ShowTourism Ireland
- $65 -- Orlando 1-Bedroom Villa at Water Park ResortLiki Tiki Village Resort
- $129 -- Weekends at 4-Star Atlanta Hotel incl. $50 in ExtrasW Atlanta Downtown