Holiday Decorations Around the Globe
Decorated evergreens? Twinkling lights? It must be the end of December. From special symbols to sparkling shopping areas, the Fodorites and Fodor's editors share their favorite festive places in cities around the world. Some of our community members have photographed beautiful holiday images, too. Season's Greetings!
"The Christmas Lights are beautiful in Madrid. Every street was different!"
"Each December the city of Halifax, NS sends a tree to Boston, MA to commemorate the assistance that city rendered following the Halifax explosion on 12/06/17. This tree has become Boston's official Christmas tree and is lit on the Boston Common throughout the holiday season . . . yes, I love history!" —Facebook user Joyce
"Galleria Vittorio Emanuele at Christmas: The dramatic architecture of the Galleria is even more amazing when decorated for the holidays. Filled with tourists and holiday shoppers, the Galleria's sparkling lights caught everyone's attention." —McGretchy
"I love the huge Christmas tree imported from Norway every year to Place Kléber in Strasbourg. Not only is it immense but the ornaments on it are magical. An added treat is one of the nearby pedestrian streets decorated for Christmas with huge Baccarat crystal chandeliers." —kerouac
"Exploring London in December is like entering a scene from Love Actually. The Christmas spirit is everywhere: Regent Street is decked in garlands of lights, Harrod's has an entire floor devoted to festive decorations and gifts, and cozy pubs offer a merry escape from the cold. " —Fodor's Editor Jess_M
"My first non-school trip to Rome was in January of 2002. Christmas decorations were still on display in some Roman venues, including Vatican City. The nativity scene in St. Peter's Square was gorgeous, and behind it were 3 Christmas trees, still sporting tinsel and lights. It was so beautiful and so memorable!" —bookchick
"Paris decorates itself for Christmas throughout the city. I found this scene in front of the Dome Church and Napoleon's Tomb."—Deborah Jones
New York City
"Rock Center - hands down [is my favorite Christmas tree]. And it's the crowds that make it special - not just locals and their kids but tourists from all over the world." —nytraveler
"The beauty of Christmas is evident in Venice" —BazzaK
Photo Credits: Venice lights courtesy BazzaK, a Fodors.com user; Milan's Galleria Vittorio Emanuele courtesy McGretchy, a Fodors.com user; Paris Dome Church courtesy Deborah_Jones, a Fodors.com user; London Regent Street star by Jess Moss; Madrid lights courtesy of parisinspring, a Fodors.com user.
Member Comments (5) Post a Comment
Awesome! Christmas is indeed the best time of the year. Outside, I love lights on the tree, and Nutcracker figurines inside the house.
I've had the chance to be in Germany twice during the Christmas holidays. A visit to Munich and the Christkindlmarktis or Christmas Market, is a must.
Amazing decorations, music and food. It's an incredible and festive experience you will never forget.
Budapest is also beautiful
Wow..!! Decorations on holiday all over the world is great,as i check it on the Google...This post also listed some beautiful pictures of decorations in different cities...The first two pics are looking awesome....
beautiful Milan and Venice
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- America's Best Wine Bars
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- 15 Best Places to Drink Hot Chocolate in America
- 10 Best US Ski Resorts for Families
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays