Avoid bank fees and research ATM locations to start saving for your next trip
Member Comments (4) Post a Comment
Relating to International Travel - credit cards issued by US credit unions have the lowest currency exchange fees. They generally only pass only the one percent fee that is charged by the bank association - either visa or mastercard and don't add a charge of their own, compared to up-charges of 2-4 percent from traditional banks. I have also found that many restaurants especially in France will have the Mastercard/Visa emblem on the door, but will say they don't accept credit cards, so it is wise to ask before you sit down. However, some of this is that while they do accept credit cards, they prefer not to take them. I have had the situation where my hotel ordered me a taxi that accepted credit cards, but when I got to my destination the driver said he didn't take credit cards. When I told him that was all I had, all of a sudden he pulled out the card machine.
I agree with RSHouck3.....Fodors usually has better tips than this.....Capital One is the way to go - as pointed out by Cate_W...no foreign transaction fees when taking money out of ATM's - or on their charge cards either....You do have to pay the ATM fee though....still the better value for us...
on Jan 7, 11 at 08:54 AM
Hi RSHouck3, this is particularly relevant for domestic travel but for international travel I usually used my Capital One card as it doesn't have a charge for foreign transactions. But you should always check with your bank as the fees can admittedly be confusing.
Surely Fodors can do better than this! ATM's and - to a lesser degree credit cards - used to be the best way to change money when abroad. Now every transaction carries both a poor exchange rate AND a special charge. My solution - when the dollar was high to the Euro, I exchanged several thousands at Citibank. But that doesn't always work. What does Fodors recommend? Are any credit cards or banks better than others?
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- Top 20 Free Things to Do in NYC
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 15 Things NOT to Do in New York City
- 10 Best Regional Theaters in the U.S.
- $161 & up -- Downtown Philly Hotel Sale w/Extras, 20% OffStarwood Hotels and Resorts
- $92 & up -- LA: Long Beach Hotel incl. Breakfast, 40% OffBookIt.com
- $159 -- Downtown Pittsburgh Convention Center Hotel, 45% OffThe Westin Convention Center, Pittsburgh
- $249 -- Last Minute: 5-Night Caribbean Cruise on CelebrityCruise.com
- $629 & up -- Riviera Maya Beachside Riu Vacation w/AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $10.95 & up -- Rental Cars across the United StatesHotwire.com