Ireland: Pack a "bilingual" map if you’re heading to the Gaeltacht.
English is now outlawed in road signs in these Irish (Gaelic)-speaking communities, found along the western seaboard, on some islands, and in pockets in West Cork and County Waterford. So be sure to use a map with place names in both English and Irish (you can’t rely on official Ordnance Survey maps, which now only prints Irish place-names in these areas).
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $89-$99 -- NOLA: 4-Star French Quarter Hotel, 65% OffBookIt.com
- $2899 & up -- Australia: Queensland Trip w/Barrier Reef TourTourism and Events Queensland
- $199 -- Hawaii: 4-Star Kauai Beachfront Resort, $110 OffKauai Marriott Resort
- $3599 -- Suite: 10-Nt. Award-Winning Asia Cruise on WindstarWindstar Cruises
- $219 & up -- Weekends at 4-Star Times Square HotelSheraton New York Times Square
- $169 -- Downtown Dallas 4-Star Hotel, Save 25%Sheraton Dallas Hotel
* Some taxes, fees additional