Ireland: Pack a "bilingual" map if you’re heading to the Gaeltacht.
English is now outlawed in road signs in these Irish (Gaelic)-speaking communities, found along the western seaboard, on some islands, and in pockets in West Cork and County Waterford. So be sure to use a map with place names in both English and Irish (you can’t rely on official Ordnance Survey maps, which now only prints Irish place-names in these areas).
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Visit Addis Ababa Now
- Top 5 Things to Do in Queens
- 5 Reasons to Visit Houston Now
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- Checking In: Park Hyatt New York
- 20 US Places to See Before You Die
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- $99 & up -- Bahamas Long Weekend Cruises incl. NassauNorwegian Cruise Line
- $489 & up -- Southern Ireland Self-Drive TourTourism Ireland
- $165 & up -- Suite: 4.5-Star Puerto Rico Beachfront ResortBookIt.com
- $121 & up -- Downtown Philly Hotel Sale w/Extras, 20% OffStarwood Hotels and Resorts
- $144-$154 -- Suite: 4-Star All-Incl. Jamaica Resort, 50% OffBookIt.com
- $299 -- Balcony: 4-Night Bahamas Cruise on CelebrityCruise.com
* Some taxes, fees additional