Switzerland's Top Ski Resorts
Slopes? Scene? Whatever your priorities, there's a Switzerland mountain resort for you, with dramatic Alpine views and charming villages guaranteed. And now is the perfect time to plan your winter wonderland trip to take advantage of early-booking discounts. TIP: Since many of these destinations are car-free, the extensive Swiss Railway system (wwww.sbb.ch) and local transport is the best way to get here and around.
Best for overall skiing: Davos and Klosters
Year after year, locals and enthusiasts from abroad make this area their preferred destination in droves. From baby hills to black runs—and everything in between—skiers and boarders are spoilt for choice. Klosters is the quieter, quainter option with sgraffitied Engadine chalets and moonlit paths while the neighboring urban sprawl of Davos is more practical than picturesque.
Best for families: Wengen
With the village on a sunny shelf with views up and down the valley, Wengen has many group-friendly activities, an outdoor ice rink, and long, enjoyable sled runs. Families will especially appreciate the proximity of the nursery slopes and the quality of the children’s ski school.
Best for off-piste and après ski: Verbier
Ski all day, party all night. With satisfying slopes for intermediate skiers, where Verbier has really sealed its reputation is the epic, challenging off-piste runs. Hire a guide and get ready to work up an appetite. And there’s no letting up when the sun goes down, as this resort has one of Switzerland’s wildest après ski and nightlife scenes.
Best for celeb spotting and ultimate luxury: St. Moritz
There’s a reason St. Moritz has a reputation as the place to "put on the ritz." Old money and the nouveau riche set mix and mingle with playboys, it girls, and wannabes. With luxurious shopping and tranquil spas, there are many more ways to lighten your wallet than just lift tickets.
Best setting: Zermatt
Situated at the end of a narrow valley, and capped off by the famed Matterhorn massif, there’s just something magical about car-free Zermatt. Little beats skiing—or simply basking—in the shadow of Switzerland’s most iconic peak. And the enchanting village, with its delicious eats, lively after-dark vibe, and cozy firesides can hardly be topped either.
More on Switzerland
Photo Credits: Davos at night and St. Moritz skiing courtesy Switzerland Tourism
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- Incredible Private Pools at 7 Worldwide Hotels
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $849 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays