Peru: Plan to travel by boat in the Amazon
Passenger boats are the most important means of transportation in the jungle. If you visit a jungle lodge, your hosts will pick you up in an outboard-powered boat—some have thatched roofs. Larger boats make 4- to 10-day cruises on the Amazon from Iquitos. You can also make arrangements for an excursion with a native guide in a wooden dugout called a pecka-pecka. However, do get a reference from a reliable source in whatever river town you happen to be in.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 10 Best Regional Theaters in the U.S.
- 15 Things NOT to Do in New York City
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- $739 & up -- Alaska: Weeklong Cruises incl. Glacier BayCarnival Cruise Line
- $109* & up -- Premium Economy: Nationwide Fare Sale O/WVirgin America
- $111-$159 -- 4-Star Lake Las Vegas Resort incl. WeekendsWestin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
- $119 & up -- Vancouver 4-Star Waterfront Hotel, 40% OffThe Westin Bayshore Vancouver
- $159 & up -- 4-Star Midtown Manhattan Westin, 40% OffThe Westin New York Grand Central
- $499 -- 7-Night Spring Caribbean Cruise on Royal CaribbeanCruise.com
* Some taxes, fees additional