Rest often during long road trips
It may sound counterintuitive, but you’re more likely to make better driving time—and to arrive safely—if you take frequent breaks when traveling long distances. Pull off the road, get out of your car, and stretch every two to three hours; you’ll actually increase your alertness and endurance. On the other hand, if you drive four or five hours without stopping, you’re more likely to become fatigued and unable to continue safely without stopping for a long break or even an overnight. Breaks are also important when traveling with kids—stopping to toss a ball around or play a game helps to stave off boredom and restlessness.
You May Also Like
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
This is too true.
While planning my last road trip, I actually found some towns along the way with ultra nice playgrounds just so my 4 year old son would continue to enjoy the ride and not get bored and tired of the drive.
Andrew Van Winkle
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $775 & up -- Hawaii 3-Nts. w/Air & Car; All Islands on SalePleasant Holidays
- $199 & up -- Chicago 4-Star Riverfront Hotel, Save 40%Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers
- $999 & up -- Weeklong Caribbean Cruise in SummerRoyal Caribbean
- $1191 & up -- Costa Rica 8-Night Package w/Air & HotelsLatinDestinations.com
- $1675 & up -- Beijing, Shanghai & Tokyo 9 Nts. w/Air & HotelTripMasters.com Flexible Trips
- $119 & up -- Weekends at Downtown St. Louis Hotel, Save $180Sheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel & Suites