Europe's Top Public Squares
If you've been to Europe, you undoubtedly have a favorite square, whether it's a piazza, campo, place, platz, or plaza. Members in our forums recently shared their opinions, and Italy lead the list. There's just something special about these oh-so-European places. As member LowCountryIslander remembers, "my breath was taken away one evening when I rounded the corner . . . Maybe it was because the sun was setting and made the yellow buildings glow, or because the twinkling lights were coming on at all the cafes lining the square, but it just felt magical to me."
Read the full conversation here and add your favorites to the forums or the comments below.
"I also love Piazza della Signoria in Florence." —cathies
"The square in Krakow is among the finest. I loved sitting there in the evening with a glass of wine listening to the hooves of the fiacre horses clip-clopping as they go by, watching the flower vendors selling their blooms until late in the evening, and seeing the man waving from the top of the basilica after he sounds his trumpet. It's a wonderful sensory experience." —adrienne
"Trafalgar Square, London - something about Nelson's column that makes it magic as does the National Gallery on its north end and great for people watching." —PalenQ
"Have any of you seen Smith Square in London, with St. John's church in the middle of it? St. John's is called the "Footstool church" because it looks like an upturned footstool, with towers or belfries on each corner. Go there and hear a concert some Sunday afternoon, after having a delicious snack in the basement cafe." —taconictraveler
"we search out the squares, whether it be in a small village or large city. We savor these moments, almost as much as if we were visiting a famous art museum. I'll add Red Square in Moscow. Huge, yes, but oh the history and surroundings." — swisshiker
"Old Town Square in Prague immediately comes to mind, as well." —Kwoo
"The Vatican - the square in the front with its curving collonades is so so majestic . . . " —PalenQ
"Plaza de Obradoiro, Santiago de Compostela, with the pilgrims ending their long treks." —HappyTrvlr
"No place like Piazza San Marco!"— DRJ
Photo Credit: San Marco Plaza by trait2lumiere / iStockphoto
You May Also Like
Member Comments (12) Post a Comment
Piazza di Spagna... I lived above the square and returned many, many times. It has a magical quality during all times of day and seasons of the year. Thrilling from any viewpoint.
Piazza Navona in Roma. Beautiful statues, great people watching and surrounding back lanes are filled with restaurants and shops. Also love Campo in Siena and Piazza San Marco and main piazza on Lake Orta in Northern Italy.
Old Town Square in Prague is probably my favorite, also, but I also love the Plaza Mayor in Madrid.
I completely agree with Trafalgar Square in London. Not only do you have Nelson's column and the National Gallery, but you have a beautiful view of Big Ben. It's central to everything and truly stunning.
Budapest's Vorosmarty Ter or Liszt Ferenc Ter
Rome's Campidoglio, designed by Michelangelo and Piazza Santo Spirito in Florence.
The Campo in Siena with a close second being Trafalgar Square in London.
Rome's Piazza Del-Rotundo (Pantheon) especially at night when it is lit up.
& Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere....could sit in both Piazza's all day
Zaragoza Spain is quaint and the area is loaded with historical sites
Piazza San Marco No place like it.
Yes, Piazza San Marco and the Campo in Siena are outstanding.
I like Leicester Square for hanging out but Trafalgar Square is spectacular.
I really like Marienplatz in Munich also.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com