Buenos Aires: Know how to take the colectivo
These city buses, or "collectives," were taxi drivers’ answer to the difficulties of the Great Depression, and behave much like a regular bus line today. They’re also a strong symbol of civic pride and a great way to explore the city. Consult a Guia T, found at most larger kiosks for about 3 pesos, to figure out which line you need and which street you should walk on to find a parade, or stop. When you see your bus coming, hail it like a cab, wait for it to come to a rolling halt (at best), and say "ochenta, por favor" to the driver before plunking your 80 centavos (change given, but only coins accepted) into the ticket machine. As you ride, pay attention to where you are, as stops aren’t routinely announced. Push a stop request button when you see your destination coming up. Retain your ticket, as police occasionally board to check and administer fines.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- Top 10 State Fairs in the U.S.
- How to Renew Your Passport
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- 10 of Hemingway's Favorite Haunts
- How to Use Twitter to Rebook a Canceled Flight
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Wine Lover's Guide to South Africa
- Car Lover's Guide to Germany
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $699 & up -- All-Incl. Punta Cana Adults Trip w/Air, 50% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $2009 -- Sydney & Brisbane 6-Night Vacation w/Air, $325 OffDelta Vacations
- $1647 & up -- Dublin & Giant's Causeway Trip w/Air & ToursGreat Value Vacations
- $2345* & up -- Fly to Australia in Premium Economy, R/TAir New Zealand
- $559 & up -- 3-Night Kauai Vacations incl. Air & Car RentalPleasant Holidays
- $589 & up -- All-Incl. Riviera Maya Trip w/$200 Credit & AirCheapCaribbean.com