Best Dim Sum in San Francisco's Chinatown
The popular Cantonese midday custom of going out for dim sum—small dishes, both savory and sweet, hot and cold—can be explored on nearly every block in San Francisco's Chinatown. In big restaurants, servers push dish-laden carts around the dining room, and diners select what they want. Smaller places dispense with the carts in favor of more easily managed trays. You won’t always know what you’re choosing, so embrace the mystery.
New Asia (772 Pacific Ave. 415/391–6666 www.sfnewasia.com) is perfect for dim sum newbies—English is spoken here, and the sprawling room means you won’t stick out like a sore thumb. For the best selection, try for a table near the kitchen; by the time the carts make their way upstairs, they’re picked over.
For more adventurous spirits, Dol Ho (808 Pacific Ave. 415/392–2828) is a hole-in-the-wall serving up good dim sum at great prices. Neighborhood regulars fill the small space, snapping up the best items from the single cart. There’s not much English spoken here, but the authenticity and low tab make any sign-language efforts pay off.
When you walk downstairs into Hang Ah (1 Pagoda Pl., at Stockton St. 415/982–5686), you’ll feel like you’ve discovered a long-hidden gem, where you can fill up on conventional dim sum for a song. If you’re in a rush, stop at friendly You’s (675 Broadway 415/788–7028), a busy takeout spot famous for its barbecued pork buns.
Many locals like Great Eastern (649 Jackson St. 415/986–2500, see full review) because they can check off what they want on dim sum menus instead of waiting for a cart. Others, especially Financial District workers on weekdays and families on weekends, migrate to City View Restaurant (622 Commercial St. 415/398–2838) for its relatively quiet dining room, ample choices, and atmospheric location on one of the neighborhood’s quaint cobblestone blocks.
Photo Credit: Brett Shoaf
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Ultimate Safari Planner
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays