Face to Face with Jaws: Shark Diving in South Africa
By Kate Turkington
It's not hard to get swept up in the frenzy that is the Discovery Channel’s annual Shark Week. If watching the great white sharks on TV doesn’t soothe your curiosity, then head to Gansbaai, South Africa May through August (a.k.a Prime Great White viewing season). About a 2 ½ hour drive from Cape Town, this Western Cape town is the self-proclaimed Great White Shark capital of the world. The town is decked out in shark-themed paraphernalia. Keep an eye out for buildings decorated in disused diving cages and murals fringed with triangular white teeth.
For the very brave, you can get face to face with Jaws in specially designed shark cages (www.sharkcagediving.net). Those who don’t fancy actually diving with sharks, but still want to experience the powerful creatures, can take a boat trip to Dyer Island (www.white-shark-diving.com), home to 50,000 cape fur seals—the Great White’s favorite treat. Success rates are good, as rarely a day goes by without spotting at least one Great White. If you're lucky you’ll get calm seas, 30 feet visibility, and a "player" or two (the term used by operators to describe an individual shark that hangs around the boat).
If you time things right, you could head for the Eastern Cape coast in July to intercept the Sardine Run (www.sardinerun.com), when millions of sardines (and the Humpback whales, dolphins, and sharks that eat them) make their way up South Africa’s Eastern coast to find warmer waters. Many SCUBA charters, including Reefteach (www.reefteach.co.za), offer daily excursions for experienced and non-experienced divers or those who want to watch from the safety of the boat.
Photo credit: Kathryn Moos
Member Comments (2) Post a Comment
Only as long as they allow you to pee in the wet suit.
Been to south Africa myself, Durban is a lovely place, didnt get to see the Sharks, but i will do next time. If you get the chance when in Durban, check out Dave Monks, he is a Celtic Musician and Gospel Musician.. http://www.davemonks.com/monks-cds.htm you wont regret it. South Africa is beautiful though, really worth seeing and experiencing, and do enjoy the music too..
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Ultimate Safari Planner
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays