Scandanavia: Venture north of the Arctic Circle
Between early June and mid-July the sun doesn’t set here—a phenomenon known as the midnight sun. Some of the prettiest places to take in this phenomenon are Bodo, Narvik, and Nordkapp in Norway; or while skiing the King’s Trail in northern Sweden. Equally moving (though in a less gleeful way) is the reverse experience at the height of winter, when the Arctic goes completely dark for a few months.
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
You don't ski the King's Trail during summer, you hike.
Bodø and Narvik are quite ordinary cities in north Norway.
Tromsø is a good city in northern Norway to visit during summer. Even better is to visit the Lofoten islands and places like Svolvær.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $169 -- Downtown Dallas 4-Star Hotel, Save 25%Sheraton Dallas Hotel
- $129-$159 -- Tucson AAA 4-Diamond Resort, Save 45%The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa
- $208-- Miami: New Luxury South Beach Hotel, Reg. $449The Redbury, South Beach
- $199 & up -- Downtown Los Angeles 4-Star Hotel, $50 OffThe Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
- $129 & up -- New Orleans Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $98 & up -- Seattle Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago