Barcelona on a Budget: 4 Tips for Saving
Barcelona is in the same league as other major European destinations in terms of cost. And depending on where the euro is (at this writing 1 euro = about 1.23 U.S. dollars), that exchange rate can take a bite. But remember that there are such things as discounts, and if you can live like a local you save like a local.
Although your pocket might feel the pinch, greenbacks can punch above their weight with a few well-chosen tips.
Save with a Card
The T10 card, the ArticketBCN card, and the Barcelona card all offer bundled discounts for museum passes, transit, and more.
Walk and use Pubic Transportation
Barcelona is definitely a city to explore on foot. Take the opportunity to stroll through the central neighborhoods, and when your feet get tired, take the metro instead of a taxi.
Hit Museums on Free Nights
Nothing beats "free," so if you’re a culture buff on a budget, plan your visits around the various free nights offered by local museums.
Fill Up Like a Local
There are so many ways to eat well in Barcelona and still save money: tapas, wine bars, and cafés all offer terrific casual foods that satisfy your taste buds and your wallet. And don’t forget to capitalize on a big, less expensive lunch to save money at dinnertime.
Member Comments (2) Post a Comment
the first sunday of the month, museums are free entrance, i think that discount cards are very useful if you plan to go to museums for example, in my situation we didnt buy it because we are not "museum" i recommend people to check this page http://www.world-rt.com/ because it was very useful for us to plan our holiday, full of local info written by a local guy
Barcelona is the pickpocket capital of the world. I was taken 5 minutes after I arrive downtown. The police told me that they get around 250 reports of pickpocketing each day and even more in the high season. So watch out!!!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Ultimate Guide to European Rail Passes
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- Wine Lover's Guide to St. Helena
- Vote for Fodor's Travel to Go to the 2015 SXSW Festival
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $2499 -- Panama Canal 15-Nt. Cruise incl. Unlimited DrinksCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $379 & up -- 7-Day Alaska Cruises incl. Glacier BayNorwegian Cruise Line
- $829* & up -- Global Sale on 5-Star Airline, R/T incl. TaxQatar Airways
- $599 -- Balcony on New Norwegian Ship w/$250 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $101 & up -- Puerto Vallarta All-Incl. Beach Resort, 50% OffHotel Riu Palace Pacifico
- $119 & up -- D.C. Area Hotel Sale thru Summer, 20% OffStarwood Hotels and Resorts