Barcelona on a Budget: 4 Tips for Saving
Barcelona is in the same league as other major European destinations in terms of cost. And depending on where the euro is (at this writing 1 euro = about 1.23 U.S. dollars), that exchange rate can take a bite. But remember that there are such things as discounts, and if you can live like a local you save like a local.
Although your pocket might feel the pinch, greenbacks can punch above their weight with a few well-chosen tips.
Save with a Card
The T10 card, the ArticketBCN card, and the Barcelona card all offer bundled discounts for museum passes, transit, and more.
Walk and use Pubic Transportation
Barcelona is definitely a city to explore on foot. Take the opportunity to stroll through the central neighborhoods, and when your feet get tired, take the metro instead of a taxi.
Hit Museums on Free Nights
Nothing beats "free," so if you’re a culture buff on a budget, plan your visits around the various free nights offered by local museums.
Fill Up Like a Local
There are so many ways to eat well in Barcelona and still save money: tapas, wine bars, and cafés all offer terrific casual foods that satisfy your taste buds and your wallet. And don’t forget to capitalize on a big, less expensive lunch to save money at dinnertime.
Member Comments (2) Post a Comment
the first sunday of the month, museums are free entrance, i think that discount cards are very useful if you plan to go to museums for example, in my situation we didnt buy it because we are not "museum" i recommend people to check this page http://www.world-rt.com/ because it was very useful for us to plan our holiday, full of local info written by a local guy
Barcelona is the pickpocket capital of the world. I was taken 5 minutes after I arrive downtown. The police told me that they get around 250 reports of pickpocketing each day and even more in the high season. So watch out!!!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Top 15 Beach Destinations for Winter Escapes
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- Black Friday/Cyber Monday 2014: The Best Travel Deals
- 10 Places to Go This Winter
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- How to Use the Internet to Find the Best Airplane Seats
- $419 & up -- Pacific Coast 5-Night Cruise to VancouverNorwegian Cruise Line
- $589 & up -- Cancun All-Incl. 4-Nt. Vacation; Kids Stay FreeCheapCaribbean.com
- $1199 -- Hawaiian Islands 15-Night Cruise on PrincessPrincess Cruises
- $72 & up -- Portland Hotel Deals up to 55% OffTravel Portland
- $849 & up -- Hawaii: Weeklong Cruise to 4 IslandsNorwegian Cruise Line
- $44 & up -- Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, Save 35%Ocean Reef Resort