Scotland: Beware the midge
Pack some insect repellent to deter this tiny biting fly if you’re traveling in the Highlands and islands in summer; the Highland midge is a force to be reckoned with. You might want to set out on a hike after a windy spell, when the creatures have been temporarily beaten back. Antihistamine cream is helpful in reducing swelling of bites you do get.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Stunning Hotels in Unexpected Places
- 10 Restaurants Worth a Day Trip in Europe
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- World's Most Luxurious Wine Country Hotels
- Best Credit Cards for Travelers
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- Seafood Lover's Guide to Brittany, France
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $109-$139 -- Weekends at West Denver Hotel incl. Wi-FiSheraton Denver West Hotel
- $325 -- Oahu: 4-Star Waikiki Beach Resort, 20% OffSheraton Waikiki
- $95 & up -- Puerto Rico: Old Town San Juan Hotel, Save 15%Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino
- $11.95 & up -- Rental Cars across the United StatesHotwire.com
- $169 & up -- Downtown LA Hotel During Summer, 35% OffSheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel
- $188* -- Coast-to-Coast Fares into October, One WayVirgin America