Scotland: Beware the midge
Pack some insect repellent to deter this tiny biting fly if you’re traveling in the Highlands and islands in summer; the Highland midge is a force to be reckoned with. You might want to set out on a hike after a windy spell, when the creatures have been temporarily beaten back. Antihistamine cream is helpful in reducing swelling of bites you do get.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 10 Best Ramen Shops in the U.S.
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 15 Things Not to Do in Paris
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- A Fool-Proof Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- $215 & up -- D.C.: Chic W Hotel next to White House, 30% OffW Washington DC
- $849 & up -- Hawaii: Weeklong Cruise to 4 Islands w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $109 -- SoCal: Carlsbad Hotel near Theme Park, 45% OffGrand Pacific Palisades Resort & Hotel
- $129 -- Scottsdale Luxury Resort incl. Weekends, 60% OffOmni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia
- $99 & up -- Sonoma County Hotel Sale, up to 50% OffSonoma County Tourism
- $167 & up -- 4-Star Westin NYC-Area Hotel, 40% OffThe Westin Jersey City Newport