Scotland: Beware the midge
Pack some insect repellent to deter this tiny biting fly if you’re traveling in the Highlands and islands in summer; the Highland midge is a force to be reckoned with. You might want to set out on a hike after a windy spell, when the creatures have been temporarily beaten back. Antihistamine cream is helpful in reducing swelling of bites you do get.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- 15 Things NOT to Do in New York City
- 10 Best Regional Theaters in the U.S.
- $999 & up -- Riviera Nayarit: All-Suite, 4-Star Trip w/AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $169 & up -- 4-Star Westin Times Square Hotel, 25% OffThe Westin New York Times Square
- $39 & up -- Hotels in Mesa, Arizona up to 45% offVisit Mesa
- $179 & up -- 3-Day Winter Cruise to the Bahamas on CarnivalCarnival Cruise Line
- $999 & up -- Punta Cana All-Incl. Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $1439 & up -- 9-Nt. London, Edinburgh & Dublin Trip w/AirEuropeanDestinations.com