Scotland: Beware the midge
Pack some insect repellent to deter this tiny biting fly if you’re traveling in the Highlands and islands in summer; the Highland midge is a force to be reckoned with. You might want to set out on a hike after a windy spell, when the creatures have been temporarily beaten back. Antihistamine cream is helpful in reducing swelling of bites you do get.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 10 Best River Cruises for 2015
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- A Fool-Proof Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Under-the-Radar Attractions in the U.S.
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- $2926 -- Norway: 8-Night Voyage w/Air & Hotel, Save $1100Hurtigruten
- $109 -- Jersey Shore: Historic Oceanfront Hotel, 50% OffThe Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
- $199 & up -- Baltimore: 4-Star Inner Harbor Hotel, 30% OffSheraton Inner Harbor Hotel
- $79 -- Orlando Hotel near Parks w/Upgrade, 50% OffWyndham Lake Buena Vista Resort Hotel
- $65 & up -- Vegas Strip 4-Star Resort incl. WeekendsSLS Las Vegas
- $77-$85 -- Quebec City 4-Diamond Hotel into June, 40% OffHilton Quebec