Israel: Try the bus to get around
You can get almost anywhere in Israel by bus, and the central bus station is a fixture in most towns. Ask for the tahana merkazit. The Egged bus cooperative handles all bus routes, except those in Tel Aviv, where Dan operates. Fares are a flat-rate per journey, not based on distance. For both local and intercity travel, bus drivers accept payment for tickets (payable only in shekels). They don't make change for a bill over NIS 50. It's faster to buy tickets at the bus station.
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
On Saturdays (the Jewish Sabbath) buses are rare and trains stop running. You may have to get a taxi.
For long hauls such as the journey to Eilat the bus service from Tel Aviv and Jerusalem is recommended. Book seats in advance.
Trains run between the main cities.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- 10 of Hemingway's Favorite Haunts
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- How to Renew Your Passport
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Wine Lover's Guide to South Africa
- 8 Cooling Beauty Products for Beating the Heat
- How to Use Twitter to Rebook a Canceled Flight
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $599 & up -- Ends 7/26: Alaska Cruise Sale w/Onboard SpendNorwegian Cruise Line
- $119 -- Wisconsin: 4-Star Lake Geneva Resort, 50% OffGrand Geneva Resort & Spa
- $169 -- Downtown Dallas 4-Star Hotel, Save 25%Sheraton Dallas Hotel
- $309-$339 -- Suite at Waikiki Resort w/Beach Pkg., Save $200Embassy Suites Waikiki Beach Walk
- $95 & up -- Puerto Rico: Old Town San Juan Hotel, Save 15%Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino
- $79 -- Weekends at Dallas-Area 4-Diamond Hotel, Save 45%The Westin Park Central Dallas