Greece: Expect variable place-name transliterations
Examples: Agios or Ayios, Georgios or Yiorgos. Also, the English version may differ from the local Greek version: Corfu is known as Kerkyra; island capitals are often just called Chora (town); and Athens's boulevard Vasilissis Sofias (Queen Sofia) was renamed Eleftheriou Venizelou, but you'll likely get blank stares if you call it that.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- Top 20 Free Things to Do in NYC
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 15 Things NOT to Do in New York City
- 10 Best Regional Theaters in the U.S.
- $849 & up -- Playa del Carmen 5-Star All-Incl. Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $105 & up -- 4-Star D.C. Area Westin incl. Weekends, 50% OffThe Westin Reston Heights
- $499 -- 7-Night Spring Caribbean Cruise on Royal CaribbeanCruise.com
- $149 & up -- Bahamas Long Weekend Cruises incl. NassauNorwegian Cruise Line
- $72 & up -- OR: Portland Hotels on Sale Through SpringFeatured Destination: Portland
- $1141 & up -- Bahamas 5-Nt. Trip w/Air & Access to AtlantisApple Vacations