Greece: Expect variable place-name transliterations
Examples: Agios or Ayios, Georgios or Yiorgos. Also, the English version may differ from the local Greek version: Corfu is known as Kerkyra; island capitals are often just called Chora (town); and Athens's boulevard Vasilissis Sofias (Queen Sofia) was renamed Eleftheriou Venizelou, but you'll likely get blank stares if you call it that.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- 10 of Hemingway's Favorite Haunts
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- How to Renew Your Passport
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Wine Lover's Guide to South Africa
- 8 Cooling Beauty Products for Beating the Heat
- How to Use Twitter to Rebook a Canceled Flight
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $840* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $599 & up -- Bermuda Vacation w/3rd Nt. Free & Air, $350 OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $2345* & up -- Fly to Australia in Premium Economy, R/TAir New Zealand
- $1538 & up -- Costa Rica: 6-Nt. Vacation w/Air & Boat TourGreat Value Vacations
- $195 & up -- NYC: Weekends at 4-Star Downtown HotelSheraton New York Tribeca
- $3895 & up -- Luxe 10-Nt. Bora Bora & Moorea Trip w/AirTahiti.com