Morocco: Don't wear shorts
They're simply not acceptable for either sex anywhere in Morocco, except at the beach. Although this is a moderate Islamic society, it is best to adhere to modest dress in public.
Member Comments (2) Post a Comment
I had quite the different experience 5 years ago in the medina in Fez. It was my last day of a 3 week rugged buses and hostels trip all over Morocco and I caved to my ethnocentrism. I knew it was not generally accepted to wear shorts there especially as a female, but it was scorching hot and I had seen other tourists do it so thought I had a get outta jail free card and could get away with it. I should have thought again. The entire day I received scornful looks from both men and women, hissing, whispering and sometimes straight out yelling. Of course many still allowed me to purchase things and my first and smartest buy was a long sarong to cover myself immediately. My advice: don't do it. Anywhere there.
I was just in Marakash and everyone wore shorts. It was pretty much as it is in the states, there were all kinds of dress. The weather is quite hot there so shorts were fine. No one seemed to mind or refuse to serve you. The muslim people had their dress even in the hottest of days.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $246 -- Boston: 4-Star Back Bay Hotel, 50% OffThe Westin Copley Place, Boston
- $1278* -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $349 -- Cruise from US to Europe w/Upgrades; Kids Sail FreeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $84 & up -- Baltimore Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $95 & up -- West Denver Hotel incl. Wi-Fi, 25% OffSheraton Denver West Hotel
- $1045 & up -- Oahu & Kauai 6-Nts. w/Air, Hotels & TransferTripMasters.com