Morocco: Don't wear shorts
They're simply not acceptable for either sex anywhere in Morocco, except at the beach. Although this is a moderate Islamic society, it is best to adhere to modest dress in public.
Member Comments (2) Post a Comment
I had quite the different experience 5 years ago in the medina in Fez. It was my last day of a 3 week rugged buses and hostels trip all over Morocco and I caved to my ethnocentrism. I knew it was not generally accepted to wear shorts there especially as a female, but it was scorching hot and I had seen other tourists do it so thought I had a get outta jail free card and could get away with it. I should have thought again. The entire day I received scornful looks from both men and women, hissing, whispering and sometimes straight out yelling. Of course many still allowed me to purchase things and my first and smartest buy was a long sarong to cover myself immediately. My advice: don't do it. Anywhere there.
I was just in Marakash and everyone wore shorts. It was pretty much as it is in the states, there were all kinds of dress. The weather is quite hot there so shorts were fine. No one seemed to mind or refuse to serve you. The muslim people had their dress even in the hottest of days.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Best Regional Theaters in the U.S.
- 15 Best Beach Getaways for 2015
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- $799 & up -- Riviera Maya 3-Nt. All-Inclusive Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $649 -- 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Norwegian w/CreditPriceline Cruises
- $109* & up -- Premium Economy: Nationwide Fare Sale O/WVirgin America
- $72 & up -- OR: Portland Hotels on Sale Through SpringFeatured Destination: Portland
- $1169 -- New Zealand: Wellington & Napier Food & Wine TripTravelscene
- $3299 -- Luxury Kenya Trip incl. Game Drives & AirLion World Travel