Japan: Know your chopsticks
Life will be easier for you in Japan if you've had some experience with chopsticks. The secret is to learn to move only the chopstick on top rather than both at once. Don't point, lick, or gesture with chopsticks. Also, never take food from a common serving plate with the ends of the chopsticks you've had in your mouth. Never use your chopsticks to take food from someone else's chopsticks, as this denotes a funerary custom.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- 10 of Hemingway's Favorite Haunts
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- How to Renew Your Passport
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Wine Lover's Guide to South Africa
- 8 Cooling Beauty Products for Beating the Heat
- How to Use Twitter to Rebook a Canceled Flight
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $3039 & up -- Cape Town Adventure w/Tours, Air & SafariGreat Value Vacations
- $1339 & up -- Prague, Vienna & Budapest 7 Nts. w/Air & TrainEuropeanDestinations.com
- $73 & up -- Nationwide Virgin America Sale into October, O/WVirgin America
- $2799 & up -- Perth & Sydney 9-Nt. Escape w/Air, $650 OffDown Under Answers
- $489 & up -- Los Cabos Getaway w/Upgrade & Air, 40% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $2011* & up -- Premium Economy Fares to Paris (Roundtrip)Air France