Rome: Ask for the bill
In Rome, the bill will not be brought until you ask for it. Unless otherwise written on the menu, service is included. However, it's customary to leave an additional 5%-10% tip for the waiter, depending on the quality of service.
Member Comments (6) Post a Comment
I've never been anywhere in Europe where the bill is brought without being asked for - in fact I've only come across that in the US. If it were to happen to me I'd feel we had misbehaved and were being thrown out.
I lived in Italy for a year or so recently and Italians don't tip! You leave the few small coins at a bar when you get coffee but in a restaurant, no.
if the service is included it will say it on the bill. or you could ask the waiter "servizio e' incluso" most people are very honest.
People often leave a few small coins as a token, but certainly nothing as formal - or substantial - as a double-digit percentage. For example, if the change came to less than a euro I would leave it.
I have a friend who has lived in Rome for the past 25 years. When I recently visited her, she told me never ever leave a tip! She says it's always included and, in all her years of living there, she has followed this advice.
How can service be included when you are expected to add another 10% -Wake up.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $429 & up -- South Caribbean Cruise w/Upgrade; Kids FreeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $2703 & up -- Ireland in Spring: 5-Star Trip w/Four SeasonsSceptre Tours
- $999 & up -- 5-Night Vacation to Turks & Caicos, $400 OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $49 & up -- Atlantic City Hotel Sale incl. Extras & CreditsAtlantic City
- $359 & up -- Ireland Coastal Tours & Trips, Save up to $700Ireland
- $719 & up -- 7-Night Canada & New England Cruise, $575 OffRoyal Caribbean