Rome: Ask for the bill
In Rome, the bill will not be brought until you ask for it. Unless otherwise written on the menu, service is included. However, it's customary to leave an additional 5%-10% tip for the waiter, depending on the quality of service.
Member Comments (6) Post a Comment
I've never been anywhere in Europe where the bill is brought without being asked for - in fact I've only come across that in the US. If it were to happen to me I'd feel we had misbehaved and were being thrown out.
I lived in Italy for a year or so recently and Italians don't tip! You leave the few small coins at a bar when you get coffee but in a restaurant, no.
if the service is included it will say it on the bill. or you could ask the waiter "servizio e' incluso" most people are very honest.
People often leave a few small coins as a token, but certainly nothing as formal - or substantial - as a double-digit percentage. For example, if the change came to less than a euro I would leave it.
I have a friend who has lived in Rome for the past 25 years. When I recently visited her, she told me never ever leave a tip! She says it's always included and, in all her years of living there, she has followed this advice.
How can service be included when you are expected to add another 10% -Wake up.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $39 & up -- Amtrak: One-Way Northeast Fares, 25% OffAmtrak
- $1289 & up -- 14-Day Cruise to Bermuda, Canada & New EnglandNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1199 & up -- London & Dublin 6-Nt. Package w/Air & HotelEuropeanDestinations.com
- $999 -- 10-Nt. Mexican Riviera Cruise w/$150 Onboard CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $299 -- Maui: Oceanfront 4-Star Resort, Save 20%The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
- $9 & up -- Car Rentals across the U.S.CarRentals.com