Rome: Ask for the bill
In Rome, the bill will not be brought until you ask for it. Unless otherwise written on the menu, service is included. However, it's customary to leave an additional 5%-10% tip for the waiter, depending on the quality of service.
You May Also Like
Member Comments (6) Post a Comment
How can service be included when you are expected to add another 10% -Wake up.
I have a friend who has lived in Rome for the past 25 years. When I recently visited her, she told me never ever leave a tip! She says it's always included and, in all her years of living there, she has followed this advice.
People often leave a few small coins as a token, but certainly nothing as formal - or substantial - as a double-digit percentage. For example, if the change came to less than a euro I would leave it.
if the service is included it will say it on the bill. or you could ask the waiter "servizio e' incluso" most people are very honest.
I lived in Italy for a year or so recently and Italians don't tip! You leave the few small coins at a bar when you get coffee but in a restaurant, no.
I've never been anywhere in Europe where the bill is brought without being asked for - in fact I've only come across that in the US. If it were to happen to me I'd feel we had misbehaved and were being thrown out.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Where to Go This Summer
- 4 Great Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Beginner's Guide to Glamping
- Bangkok 101: What (and Where) to Eat
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Summer 2013 Guide to New York City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3152 & up -- Italy Luxury Trip w/Air & Rail between CitiesSceptre Tours
- $92 -- Cabo: All-Inclusive Beachfront Resort, Save 50%Hotel Riu Sante Fe
- $150 & Up -- Old Montreal 4-Diamond Hotel, 40% OffLe Westin Montreal
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/ToursDown Under Answers