Rome: Ask for the bill
In Rome, the bill will not be brought until you ask for it. Unless otherwise written on the menu, service is included. However, it's customary to leave an additional 5%-10% tip for the waiter, depending on the quality of service.
Member Comments (6) Post a Comment
How can service be included when you are expected to add another 10% -Wake up.
I have a friend who has lived in Rome for the past 25 years. When I recently visited her, she told me never ever leave a tip! She says it's always included and, in all her years of living there, she has followed this advice.
People often leave a few small coins as a token, but certainly nothing as formal - or substantial - as a double-digit percentage. For example, if the change came to less than a euro I would leave it.
if the service is included it will say it on the bill. or you could ask the waiter "servizio e' incluso" most people are very honest.
I lived in Italy for a year or so recently and Italians don't tip! You leave the few small coins at a bar when you get coffee but in a restaurant, no.
I've never been anywhere in Europe where the bill is brought without being asked for - in fact I've only come across that in the US. If it were to happen to me I'd feel we had misbehaved and were being thrown out.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- America's Best Wine Bars
- 10 Best US Ski Resorts for Families
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1198-$1278* -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $1645 -- UAE: Dubai & Abu Dhabi 6-Night Vacation, $550 OffGoway Travel with Definitely Dubai & Abu Dhabi Tourism
- $229 & up -- Caribbean 7-Night Cruise; Kids Sail FreeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1739 -- Spring Sale: 7-Night Holland & Belgium River CruiseAvalon Waterways