Caribbean Honeymoon: 4 Off-the-Grid Romantic Island Paradises
The Caribbean, with its perfect beaches and palm trees, has long been a popular honeymoon destination, but where can you go to avoid boatloads of other newly married couples? Stray from tourism hot spots—like the Barbados, St. Thomas, and Jamaica—while still keeping things romantic at these more secluded and natural escapes. Tip: Don't over-schedule honeymoon trips, especially if you're leaving right after the wedding. You'll appreciate the time to catch up on sleep and soak in newlywed bliss.
Whether you're planning your honeymoon or an anniversary celebration, here are our top picks for romantic Caribbean destinations off the radar:
Why it's so Romantic: Less-developed than other islands, laid-back Nevis has more of a sense of isolation. It's perfect for a quiet get-away soaking up the scenery or an active trip into the rain forest or out on the water. Honeymooners will find friendly locals and Caribbean history, but not shopping and nightlife.
Where to Stay: Restored manor houses and plantations are now quietly luxurious lodgings, like Hermitage Plantation Inn. As one Fodors.com user says, it's "like coming home in the tropics."
Why it's so Romantic: Much less developed than nearby St. Thomas, but also part of the U.S. Virgin Islands, St. John has a much more pristine setting. If Trunk Bay Beach gets too crowded, it's easy to find your own quiet space with Virgin Islands National Park taking up two-thirds of the island, especially in the island's interior.
St. Vincent & the Grenadines
Why it's so Romantic: Pristine beaches and few large resorts make this string of 32 islands perfect for a relaxed escape. Privacy and pampering are easy to find, whether you are more focused on spa-going or island-hopping.
Tip: June through November is Hurricane Season with the peak in September. Southern and eastern Caribbean islands (like St. Vincent and the Grenandines) are less likely to be affected by strong storms.
Why it's so Romantic: This Puerto Rican island doesn't have much more than beautiful beaches, like the white crescent of sand at Playa Flamenco. It's easy to find a secluded spot for two, but there's not much else to do. For more excitement, consider a day trip to neighboring Vieques and the bioluminescent Mosquito Bay.
Where to Stay: Isolated Hacienda Tamarindo is a plantation-style inn with beautiful views and lots of quiet areas by the shady terraces and pool.
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Just watch out if you start your journey in Miami, Florida. We were booked on a cruise and had our wedding all set on a Carribean island but somebody stole all our belongings just two hours before going on the cruise. Goodbye holiday, goodbye Carribean wedding.... Stay away from Miami!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1760 & up -- China 4-City 8-Nt. Package w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com
- $129 & up -- Washington, D.C., Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $379 & up -- Exotic Canary Islands & Morocco Cruise w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $359 & up -- Ireland Coastal Tours & Trips, Save up to $700Ireland
- $1235 & up -- Paris & Rome 6-Nt. Vacation w/Air & HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com
- $49 & up -- Atlantic City Hotel Sale incl. Extras & CreditsAtlantic City