Outdoor Traveler: Green Gift Guide
Do you still have an outdoors-lover on your holiday shopping list? Here are six eco-friendly ideas for outdoors enthusiasts. For an extra eco-touch, consider reusing gift bags and wrapping paper.
Stocking Stuffers ($25 and under)
It's easy to find good re-usable water bottles, with all the great alternatives like Sigg and Kleen Kantene, but how about a re-usable a mug for hot beverages too? The eCycle Mug sends even less to the landfill as old BPA water bottles were re-purposed to make the insulation (only BPA-free material is used to line the inside).
For armchair adventurers, environmentalists, and budding explorers, consider Antarctica 2041 by Polar Explorer Robert Swan, about the Antarctica's importance to the world, and named for the year when the international treaty protecting Antarctica is up for review. Check out our interview with the author for an introduction to his ideas.
Mid-Range ($50 and under)
Encourage safe riding, whether it's for fun or bike commuting, with the TOPEAK blinking light system, perfect for winter's shorter days. Bright LED lights make cyclists more visible with a white light for the handlebars and a red taillight.
SmartWool Clothing is sustainable, non-itchy, and greener than most synthetics designed to keep you warm. Smartwool has a great options for every temperature and activity level, from zip-up tops to classic hats and socks.
Pricey ($100 and under)
A stylish and classic alternative to metal camping chairs, the Byer of Maine Pangean Glider Chair is made from fast-growing sustainable eucalyptus grown on a plantation. It's ideal for relaxing around the campfire or just reading on the porch.
Know someone who was inspired by Ken Burns documentary series America's Best Idea? The America the Beautiful National Park Pass is good for one vehicle for a year, so the whole family can visit their favorite parks. There's also senior lifetime passes for anyone over 62 for just $10. You can also get the DVD series or companion book and learn more about Ken Burns' own national park experiences.
Photo credit: Image courtesy of Aladdin
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Ultimate Safari Planner
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays