Paris Museum Strikes Begin to Dwindle
After more than a week of strikes, Paris' top museums are beginning to function again. According to the New York Times, "nearly all of France's main museums and monuments were open to the public on Wednesday, including the Louvre." Read the full story for more details. A handful of museums, including the Pompidou Center, do remain closed at this writing.
If you find yourself looking for museum alternatives next time you're in Paris, take note: a couple of the most noteworthy may not be available.
The immensely popular Picasso Museum, which should be high on your list of things to do in Paris regardless of a strike, is currently closed. It temporarily shut its doors in August 2009 for extensive renovations and is set to reopen in February 2012. The $43 million overhaul will double the museum's display space to 21,500 square feet.
In addition, the popular Musée du Luxembourg, which is currently showing an exhibit about Louis Comfort Tiffany, of Tiffany & Co. fame, will be closed for the duration of 2011, starting in January 2010. It's expected to reopen in early 2011.
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
There are four great photography museums in Paris: Jeu de Paume and it's branch at Site Sully in the Marais, the Cartier-Bresson Fondation near Montparnasse Cemetery, and the Maison de Europeen Photographie near St. Paul Metro, also in the Marais.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $108 & up -- Los Angeles Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $424 & up -- Carnival 5-Day Bahamas Cruise w/Live ConcertCarnival Cruise Lines
- $519 & up -- Alaska: 7-Night Summer Cruise w/UpgradeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $3860 & up -- Europe: 9-Nt. Trip w/London, Paris, ItalyGreat Value Vacations
- $897* -- Fly to Exotic Cook Islands from West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand
- $2385 & up -- Italy: 5-Night Rome Escape w/Air & ToursSceptre Tours