Paris Museum Strikes Begin to Dwindle
After more than a week of strikes, Paris' top museums are beginning to function again. According to the New York Times, "nearly all of France's main museums and monuments were open to the public on Wednesday, including the Louvre." Read the full story for more details. A handful of museums, including the Pompidou Center, do remain closed at this writing.
If you find yourself looking for museum alternatives next time you're in Paris, take note: a couple of the most noteworthy may not be available.
The immensely popular Picasso Museum, which should be high on your list of things to do in Paris regardless of a strike, is currently closed. It temporarily shut its doors in August 2009 for extensive renovations and is set to reopen in February 2012. The $43 million overhaul will double the museum's display space to 21,500 square feet.
In addition, the popular Musée du Luxembourg, which is currently showing an exhibit about Louis Comfort Tiffany, of Tiffany & Co. fame, will be closed for the duration of 2011, starting in January 2010. It's expected to reopen in early 2011.
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
There are four great photography museums in Paris: Jeu de Paume and it's branch at Site Sully in the Marais, the Cartier-Bresson Fondation near Montparnasse Cemetery, and the Maison de Europeen Photographie near St. Paul Metro, also in the Marais.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Hotels With Over-the-Top Christmas Decorations
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- New All-Inclusive Resort Azul Sensatori Jamaica Opens in Negril
- 5 Reasons to Visit Addis Ababa Now
- $135 & up -- 4-Star San Diego Waterfront Resort, Half OffBookIt.com
- $68 & up -- Arizona: Lake, Grand Canyon & Sedona ToursVisit Mesa
- $51 & up -- Las Vegas Hotel Sale w/$25 Off 3-Nt. StaysBookIt.com
- $89 & up -- Hotel Deals Across Arizona through WinterVisit Arizona
- $3299 -- Luxury Kenya Trip incl. Game Drives & AirLion World Travel
- $79 & up -- New Orleans Hotel Sale up to 65% OffNew Orleans Convention and Visitors Bureau