New Orleans: Eat a Hubig Pie
One New Orleans culinary delight that is almost unknown outside the city are the fried fruit turnovers made by Hubig's Pies on Dauphine Street in the Marigny. Simon Hubig founded the bakery in Fort Worth, Texas, and the New Orleans plant was just one of the chain. Forced by the Depression to close the other locations, Hubig held on to the New Orleans plant alone and brought on the current proprietors as partners. The pies are available in corner groceries around town.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Things NOT to Do in New York City
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 10 Best Regional Theaters in the U.S.
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- $129-$159 -- Weekends: Houston Hotel near Galleria, 60% OffThe Westin Galleria Houston
- $109* & up -- Premium Economy: Nationwide Fare Sale O/WVirgin America
- $259 & up -- Oceanview: 4-Night Baja Mexico Cruise w/UpgradeCarnival Cruise Line
- $679 & up -- Ends 1/31: Alaska Cruises w/Choice of ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $156 & up -- 4-Star All-Incl. Costa Rica Resort w/TransfersBookIt.com
- $161 & up -- Boston: 4-Star Waterfront Hotel, 30% OffThe Westin Boston Waterfront