Running While You Travel: 3 Easy Tips for Making It Happen
We've all explored new places on foot, but are you the type of traveler that likes to see sights on the run? If so you wouldn't be alone. Thousands of runners from all over the world will be descending on New York this weekend for the New York City Marathon, a race that is close to 42,000 runners strong. I love that running lets me cover more ground, check out places for further exploration, and balance out all that great food I eat while traveling. Call it multi-tasking, a regular routine, or just plain crazy, here are three different ways for you to get off the boring hotel treadmill and get outside.
1. Map Your Route
Are you the independent type? It's always helpful to ask at your hotel or plot a route online in advance. Your concierge may have a couple different routes to recommend based on your preferred distance. Local parks are always a great bet but even non-runners can usually recommend other good places for navigating on two feet.
Tip: GPS tracking Web sites like WalkJogRun and Gmaps Pedometer are helpful for planning a route at home and away. You can plot your own course, save information, and also view other runners shared routes.
2. Run with a Partner/Guide
Do you like to explore new ground without the stress of navigating strange streets? We're all familiar with walking tours, but running tours are a great option in some cities—no matter your speed. Not only do you get your own guide with insider knowledge, you can leave your map at the hotel and focus more on the scenery instead of worrying about getting lost. Unlike traditional city walking tours that can be crowded, you may be surprised with a small or private group. But you will pay for this personal attention, running tours start at around $60 for a six mile tour.
3. Participate in a Race
Do you need a competition for motivation? Consider scheduling a trip around a race of any distance. Sure, the biggest marathons require registration months in advance (not to mention months of training) but what better way to explore a city then with crowds cheering you on? And don't discount a 5k charity run—it's a great way to mingle with some running locals and often you can sign up on the day of the race.
Tip: Search Web sites like Active.com by date and location to find your next race.
Photo credit: istock/Steve Geer
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
I love running in the English Lake District. It is not the flatest terrain in the world but the scenery is something else. I am running the Christmas Pudding 10k in December http://www.run3.co.uk/acatalog/Great_Langdale_Christmas_Pudding_10km.html
Each finisher gets a Christmas Pudding and a mince pie...very festive!! Grizedale forrest is always a challenge and I can recommend http://www.craigmanor.co.uk as a place to rest your head or one of the many Youth Hostels http://www.google.com/search?q=yha+lake+district&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8&rlz=1I7DKUK_en-GB
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $389 & up -- 4- and 5-Day Cruises to Canada & New EnglandCarnival Cruise Lines
- $143 & up -- San Francisco Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $1394 & up -- Ireland: 6-Night Dublin Escape w/Air & ToursSceptre Tours
- $499 & up -- 5-Night La Romana All-Incl. Trip w/Air, 45% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $110 & up -- Boston Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $2175 & up -- Scotland: Castle & Manor Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations