30 Days Out: Take a birding trip in Texas
16th Annual Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival
Every November, Harlingen hosts the area's biggest and best birding festival. For 15 years the Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival has drawn crowds because of its reputation for having terrific guided field trips and a host of birding products available in the Birders Bizarre. Also part of the extravaganza are seminars, kids' activities, and the joy of meeting others with an enthusiasm for birds.
Who Should Go
Travelers looking for a value destination that affords a chance to be outside comfortably in November, anyone who's ever wondered about what it means to be a birder (consider signing up for the fest Birding 101 workshop), amateur wildlife photographers tired of taking photos of the ho-hum birds in their own backyard.
Experience It Like a Local
Draw up your list of "targets", ie bird species you'd like to spot on your walkabouts. Sign up for one of the festival's many field trips to have the chance to tour with a knowledgeable guide who will help point out the various species you may see, including hook-billed kites, altamira orioles, and golden-fronted woodpecker. Some of the festival's tours and panels are led by a Who's Who of birding luminaries, including Don Kroodsma, author of The Singing Life of Birds, and Jon Dunn, National Geographic Field Guide.
Continental and Southwest airlines both fly into the local airport, Valley International (HRL), located just 4 miles outside of Harlingen. Southwest offers direct flights to HRL from Austin, San Antonio, and Houston; Continental only flies direct from Houston. Sample round trip fares on Southwest and Continental for that particular weekend all hover around $300 for trips originating in Baltimore, Chicago, and Los Angeles.
Other Things to Do While You're There
- Head to the beaches of South Padre Island, located an hour's drive east of Harlingen.
- If ugly weather has you looking for different activitieshead back across the Queen Isabelle causeway from South Padre Island to Port Isabel. Tour Port Isabel's three notable museums.
- Check out larger wildlife at Glady Porters Zoo, one of the nation's best small zoos
Where to Eat
Manuel's - Visitors and locals alike go nuts for is this tiny taco joint near the lighthouse
Republic of the Rio Grande Restaurant & Cantina - A sumptuous mix of Mexican seafood dishes, wood-fired brick-oven pizzas, and Angus beef cuts
Resources & Shortcuts
Alternative Destination Recommendations
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% OffWindstar Cruises
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150Expedia
- $409 & up -- Bahamas: Summer Weekend CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $2350 -- Moorea: 5 Nts. at InterContinental Resort, w/AirTahiti Legends
- $899* & up -- Germany Summer & Fall Sale Fares, R/TLufthansa
- $3359 -- Galapagos: 6-Nt. Vacation w/Air, Hotels & ToursFriendly Planet Travel