Price Cuts at Paris Restaurants
I'm always looking for ways to save a few euros and help justify traveling despite the difficult economic times, so I was glad to hear that Paris restaurants are getting less expensive.
On July 1, 2009, the VAT (Value Added Tax) in French restaurants was reduced from 19.6% to 5.5% to try to help out the suffering restaurant industry. Some (but not all) Paris restaurants are passing along the savings to their customers by lowering prices—but some restaurateurs have reported that they'll be using the extra proceeds for renovations or to hire more staff instead.
At restaurants that are lowering prices, menus will state old prices and new so you'll be able to see the difference, but note that not all menu items at a particular restaurant will have the savings—some restaurants will lower the price of set menus but not a la carte dishes, it seems, and the price of wine, for example, will not be affected.
There have been positive and negative reactions from restaurant owners and restaurant goers as the reduction went into effect earlier this summer. Some owners wonder if this is going to have much effect on whether Parisians dine out, and whether it might increase tourism.
There's also some debate over whether the the well-known, expensive restaurants will cut prices, or whether it will just be neighborhood spots. Has anyone noticed which way the trend is going?
What do you think, would saving a few euros at each meal make you more inclined make to plan a trip to France? And if you were already there, would it inspire you to try some of the restaurants you've heard about but thought were too pricey?
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- Incredible Private Pools at 7 Worldwide Hotels
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $849 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays