New in NYC: Two Affordable Boutique Hotels Open Their Doors
Top-tier hotels are popping up throughout the city, despite the current economic woes, and they're offering affordable rates so guests no longer have to trade style for savings. Two recent openings are especially trendy—and especially affordable.
The great thing about the new Ace Hotel, aside from its laidback hipster vibe (a photo booth in the lobby; mini-Heineken kegs in the in-room mini-fridges; and a young staff, sans uniform, that makes it seem like you're staying at the pad of your coolest friend) is that everyone, from bankers to backpackers, are welcome. With a range of accommodations, the Ace is designed to provide the style and luxury you'd expect to find at a 5-star hotel, for a price that everyone can afford. Come October, the in-house restaurant, the Breslin (of the same owners of the forever-trendy Spotted Pig restaurant) will open its doors, so try to snag a stay here before the scenesters take over. Rooms start at $169.
Chelsea, a neighborhood known for its art galleries, restaurants, and nightclubs, is now home to the new GEM hotel. And lucky for you, it doesn't cost a fortune to stay here. This small boutique hotel offers modern rooms decked out with black and white photos on the wall, flat-screen TVs, white linens, iPod docking stations, full length mirrors, and free Wi-Fi. The rooms are small but are designed to make the most of the limited space. And since you're surrounded by the best of NYC culture and nightlife, you most likely won't be spending much time in your hotel room anyway. Rooms start at $159.
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Re the GEM, while many appreciate the accomodations, some have commented adversely on the dreary neighborhood and desolate walk from the hotel to penn station/madison sq garden area.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 10 Best Ramen Shops in the U.S.
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 15 Things Not to Do in Paris
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- A Fool-Proof Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- $119 -- Wisconsin: 4-Star Lake Geneva Resort into SpringGrand Geneva Resort
- $10.95 & up -- Rental Cars across the United StatesHotwire.com
- $11.66 & up -- Car Rentals across the U.S.CarRentals.com
- $799 & up -- Cozumel All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $675 & up -- Disney Vacations w/Air and Theme Park TicketsLiberty Travel
- $3299 -- Luxury Kenya Trip incl. Game Drives & AirLion World Travel