Take Advantage of Free Admission to National Parks This Weekend
Sure, the mega-parks like Grand Canyon and Yellowstone are must-sees, but did you know there's still time to plan a summer visit to one of the National Park Service's almost 400 other sites? With gas prices lower than last summer, now's the perfect time to explore your local National Parks. TIP: Some parks are always free, but this weekend, August 15th-16th, the NPS is offering free admission to all.
Here are just a few highlights from across the nation.
Biscayne National Park, Florida. Located between Miami and the Florida Keys, Biscayne is the perfect place to take a ride on a glass-bottom boat, but the best way to visit this park is to get wet: try snorkeling or scuba diving.
Guadalupe Mountains National Park, Texas. Explore an old stagecoach station, follow McKittrick Canyon's desert creek, or climb the highest peak in Texas: 8,749 foot-high Guadalupe Mountain.
Cape Lookout National Seashore, North Carolina. Take a ferry to these remote sandy islands and be on the lookout for loggerhead turtles and wild ponies.
Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument, Montana. Learn about Sitting Bull's defeat of Custer in 1876, along with general information about Native American culture and history.
Acadia National Park, Maine. Follow Mount Desert Island's old carraige roads along the rocky coast and up Cadillac Mountain, the easternmost point in the US.
Oregon Caves National Monument, Oregon. A cave tour will lead you underground to see stalactites and stalagmites in the "Marble Halls of Oregon."
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
The great photo here of the Maine coastline in Acadia is just the way it looks! But there also glacial lakes, a sand beach, and 24 mountain peaks. Biking, hiking, and kayaking trips are outstanding. I go every summer -- am outdoors all day and enjoy terrific dining at night. There's a creative farm-to-table movement and many lobster pounds. The link below is helpful to gauge best times to visit and an itinerary:
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Incredible Private Pools at 7 Worldwide Hotels
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- 7 Quirky American Winter Festivals
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $449 & up -- 5-Night Bermuda Cruise on Royal CaribbeanAmerican Express Travel
- $257 & up -- Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Adults-Only ResortExcellence Riviera Cancun
- $419 & up -- 4-Night Caribbean Cruise to CozumelRoyal Caribbean
- $1599 & up -- 'World's Best' Caribbean Cruises, over 60% OffWindstar Cruises
- $894* -- Fly to Exotic Cook Islands from West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand