Take Advantage of Free Admission to National Parks This Weekend
Sure, the mega-parks like Grand Canyon and Yellowstone are must-sees, but did you know there's still time to plan a summer visit to one of the National Park Service's almost 400 other sites? With gas prices lower than last summer, now's the perfect time to explore your local National Parks. TIP: Some parks are always free, but this weekend, August 15th-16th, the NPS is offering free admission to all.
Here are just a few highlights from across the nation.
Biscayne National Park, Florida. Located between Miami and the Florida Keys, Biscayne is the perfect place to take a ride on a glass-bottom boat, but the best way to visit this park is to get wet: try snorkeling or scuba diving.
Guadalupe Mountains National Park, Texas. Explore an old stagecoach station, follow McKittrick Canyon's desert creek, or climb the highest peak in Texas: 8,749 foot-high Guadalupe Mountain.
Cape Lookout National Seashore, North Carolina. Take a ferry to these remote sandy islands and be on the lookout for loggerhead turtles and wild ponies.
Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument, Montana. Learn about Sitting Bull's defeat of Custer in 1876, along with general information about Native American culture and history.
Acadia National Park, Maine. Follow Mount Desert Island's old carraige roads along the rocky coast and up Cadillac Mountain, the easternmost point in the US.
Oregon Caves National Monument, Oregon. A cave tour will lead you underground to see stalactites and stalagmites in the "Marble Halls of Oregon."
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
The great photo here of the Maine coastline in Acadia is just the way it looks! But there also glacial lakes, a sand beach, and 24 mountain peaks. Biking, hiking, and kayaking trips are outstanding. I go every summer -- am outdoors all day and enjoy terrific dining at night. There's a creative farm-to-table movement and many lobster pounds. The link below is helpful to gauge best times to visit and an itinerary:
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Things Not to Do at Walt Disney World
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- America's Most Scenic Roads
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- San Francisco's 15 Best Views
- Long Weekend in Bar Harbor | Fodor's
- Fall 2014 Guide to Chicago | Fodor's
- Ultimate Guide to Vienna's Coffee Renaissance
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- 5 Reasons to Visit Asheville This Fall
- $230 & up -- NYC: Times Square Westin thru Fall, 15% OffThe Westin New York Times Square
- $99-129 -- D.C.: Georgetown Hotel Over Holidays, Save 50%Washington Marriott Georgetown
- $169 -- FL: St. Augustine 4-Diamond Luxe Hotel, Save 55%Casa Monica Hotel
- $149-$189 -- Downtown Seattle 4-Star Hotel, 40% OffThe Westin Seattle
- $2874* & up -- Fly to Australia in Premium Economy, R/TAir New Zealand
- $199 & up -- Baltimore 4-Star Inner Harbor Hotel, 40% OffSheraton Inner Harbor Hotel